Upgrading to Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After doing some heavy research the last few days, I think I’m between a Camp Chef Woodwind and Rec Tec 590, but still torn between the two:

- Both seem to have amazing customer service
- I don’t really have the need for the “sear box” attachment as I have a Weber Genesis propane grill for any searing needs, so I wouldn’t get one from Camp Chef with one of these
- Both have great reviews on this website and others, however I have yet to see one negative review for Rec Tec

I am ruling out the new Weber pellet as I dont want to be a guinea pig, and as much as I love my Weber grill, the cleanup for the smoker appears to be a hassle (I can’t imagine cleaning all of the “flavorizer bars” after smoking a pork butt.

Anything I am missing?
I am in the same boat. I'm torn between which to buy.

A few reasons:
- Cost was cheaper and a few options I like, like the slide out ash dump, pellet dump, and the Slide n Grill
- Probably the biggest reason - I bought from a local BBQ store and was actually able to see the Woodwind in person putting my hands and eyes on it prior to purchase rather than buying directly from the manufacturer

Reactions: jmtyndall
i agree the ash clean out is nice, by buddy that has a yoder tells me it's not a huge deal however.

I do agree with you that it's nice to see with your eyes before buying. Thanks for sharing your input, hope you enjoy your smokin'.

JD

A few reasons:
- Cost was cheaper and a few options I like, like the slide out ash dump, pellet dump, and the Slide n Grill
- Probably the biggest reason - I bought from a local BBQ store and was actually able to see the Woodwind in person putting my hands and eyes on it prior to purchase rather than buying directly from the manufacturer
Good luck on your choice. I am in almost exact position. Upgrading from Masterbuilt electric to a pellet. I also have a Weber Genesis gas and 22 Kettle. I have the usual suspects on my list, CC WW (24), RT (590), and Grilla. Having heckuva time deciding.

With the Weber gas I really don't need the CC Sear/Sidekick so that knocks it down a bit in my eyes.

For RT I don't like the venting on the 590 which makes it difficult to cover in winter. Their internet presence (videos and such) are kinda a slight turn off as I really like to learn from that stuff. Lots of rah rah but not much info.

Grilla just has a smaller presence overall but seems to build a good unit.

Decisions, decisions. Think I'd pick the one that does the best job flat-out smoking but that's hard to quantify.

Good luck on your choice. I am in almost exact position. Upgrading from Masterbuilt electric to a pellet. I also have a Weber Genesis gas and 22 Kettle. I have the usual suspects on my list, CC WW (24), RT (590), and Grilla. Having heckuva time deciding.

With the Weber gas I really don't need the CC Sear/Sidekick so that knocks it down a bit in my eyes.

For RT I don't like the venting on the 590 which makes it difficult to cover in winter. Their internet presence (videos and such) are kinda a slight turn off as I really like to learn from that stuff. Lots of rah rah but not much info.

Grilla just has a smaller presence overall but seems to build a good unit.

Decisions, decisions. Think I'd pick the one that does the best job flat-out smoking but that's hard to quantify.
If Grilla had WiFi, it would have made my decision much more difficult. I know it isn’t a necessity but it is very convenient being able to adjust the temp and smoke level away from the grill.

Reactions: mcs2003
If Grilla had WiFi, it would have made my decision much more difficult. I know it isn’t a necessity but it is very convenient being able to adjust the temp and smoke level away from the grill.
Very true. Wifi isn't at top of my list - as long as I have quality wireless thermometer - but when comparing grills, features, prices, it matters.

Still happy w your choice of the CC?

Very true. Wifi isn't at top of my list - as long as I have quality wireless thermometer - but when comparing grills, features, prices, it matters.

Still happy w your choice of the CC?
I love it! I used it 4 times last week and plan to use it more this week. It is a beautiful machine.

Reactions: iconic
The RTs have larger pellet hoppers. I always hated having a bag with 3-4lbs of pellets left over.
Little things like hopper size and wifi I didn't know I needed until I had it.
The 590 exhaust have zero effect on smoke performance. They do make fitting up a winter jacket next to impossible though.

I'm also evaluating pellet smokers. I'm coming from a Pit Barrel Cooker which I love, but I've learned a lot and want something with more control. I've pretty much decided on the RT 590. I have some Amazon cards burning a whole in my pocket and they offer a deal that comes with 200lbs of RT pellets. I've read pellets make a difference. What are your thoughts on RT Pellets?

Doesn't help now, but Grilla released a video about their upcoming WiFi controller. Should be out in time for people making their buying decisions this fall.

Attachments

• ADDEB98D-A2AD-4A14-8E9A-72CCFD7C34F6.jpeg
    ADDEB98D-A2AD-4A14-8E9A-72CCFD7C34F6.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 17
Unfortunately that's pretty much the case until you get into $1500+ cookers. Even if they're assembled in the US, most are still using Chinese manufactured parts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky