Underground Pig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cowgirl, thanks for getting dirty for us. I wish is was raining so you could be mud wrestling for us.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

As always Jeanie , you're killing me. I think fired up better make it a rule that it must be 6 months between winning his prizes or You're going to win them all.

I spoze they got some silly rule that the mods can't be in them.

The folks used to do pigs in the ground when we were on the farm but like all kids I never paid attention to just how they did it. I just remember hating to have to scrape the pigs. We lowered them into a 45 gal drum of boiling water, hauled them back out and used a soup can with both ends cut out and flattened as scrapers. I hated the smell, hated the work and Basically hated the pigs. I Had to feed 100 weiner pigs every morning before I got on the school bus. Man I hated those pigs.

Now I love those pigs, because I don't have to feed the little darlings, just eat them when the mood strikes me.

Ours were milk fed because we had a large dairy herd and only sold the cream, the milk went to the piglets. Milk makes very tasty piggys.

Thank you for the nice comments and points!
It was a fun cook... once you get the pig cleaned and in the ground you can go to bed and not have to tend a fire.
When I cook a pig on my cinderblock pit, I have to add hot coals about every hour or so... with this method I let it cook all night while I sleep.
smile.gif

Paul, Now I've got that song stuck in my head.
biggrin.gif

The pit is covered with a sheet of metal first, then buried.. making a sort of underground oven. Also the baling wire handles are about 2 1/2 to 3' long on each end of the pig....I have a few more pics posted on my blog...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...derground.html

Like BeerBelly and others said ... brisket is tasty buried. Turkeys, venison, goat, just about anything you cook on a regular pit tastes great cooked underground.

Thanks again for the comments and points.

Gnu, I'm going to sit back and watch the fun. I know I'll learn a thing or two from all of you! Besides, you would beat the sox off of me in any cookoff!!

Awesome Cowgirl! I have been smokin meat for quite a while but NEVER have I required a backhoe!!! I am inspired! this spring I am sure I will be checking back with you for tips.

Thanks for the great post!

Thank you Badfrog! Hope you give it a try sometime. This is a great way to do briskets, turkeys, goats, deer... even pots of beans. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
smile.gif

How did I miss this one??? I can't even describe my awe with this job!!!!
This one gets points out the wazoo!!! "FANTASTIC" !!!!!
points.gif
points.gif
points.gif

I'd hate ta make ya mad, no tellin where a guy could end up!!!!! lmao
icon_mrgreen.gif

high cowgirl just wounder if you ever tried to wrap the pig in bannanna leafs i did a few years back came out great have not been able to find any in s.e mich . 20 years can not find in my area would love to do again makes for some tender smoke

Hi redneckchef! I just go with the wet burlap, it's easier for me to come by here. :)
Isn't underground meat is so moist and tender!! .. it's an easy way to feed a crowd too.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Oneshot... (((HUGS))) :)

The foil's not tight around the pig. It gets lots of flavor from the wood.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Glen, thanks! I had a friend dig the hole. It would be fun to have a backhoe though. I'd probably do more damage than good with one. lol

Will try to keep up with yer blog more. You can tell I'm not around much. I think I see Jeff more than his site and that is pretty rare.

It's good to see you Glen. Tell Jeff hi next time you run into him. lol

Cowgirl, that brings back a lot of memories as a young kid. My dad would always lay a 55 gal drum on a 45 degree angle and fill it with water, and have it burried at about ground level so that we didn't have to lift the pig, just slide it into the drum. He always had a bed of pine needles laying in front of the drum to slide the pig onto. Then the pulling begins, if it stayed in the drum to long the hair would "set", then the old man would do a little cussing. He hated to "shave" pigs, I think mainly because he couldn't sharpen a knife good enough.

About the time we got through with the hog the neighbors already had the chittlens cooking, good incentive to hurry up if the wind was blowing the wrong way. Then he would usally salt it down and store it on pine needles. Not haveing a freezer really sucked as you eat a lot of salty food sometimes. Looking back I have fonder memories now than I did at the time. I hated the fall when the old man decided to kill something, especially hogs, lot of work.

Charlie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky