Umami Bomb Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burgerbob

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
Nebraska
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted on this site but I definitely haven't stopped smoking! Decided to do Umami Bomb Brisket from All Things BBQ for the 4th of July, this is one of my absolute favorite brisket recipes(ATBBQ).

I pretty much followed the entire recipe, the only difference was I added some Montreal Steak seasoning to hopefully give it a more coarse crust. Unfortunately though my crust didn't turn out the way I wanted it to since I forgot to wipe of the excess injection liquid before I rubbed the brisket with miso. I had a few temp issues in the beginning, I was attempting to go for a hot and fast cook, but I made a rookie mistake when I was getting the smoker started. I know what I did wrong with my smoker as I've done hot and fast briskets before, so I was a little upset with myself for it but it still turned out delicious so I can't really complain.

I smoked this on my homemade UDS with B&B lump charcoal with a 80\20 mixture of cherry and hickory wood. Anyways, my process for this brisket is below for those that like to know.

Injection
2 tbsp soy sauce
6 tbsp Prime Dust
2 tbsp shiitake mushrooms - ground up
1 1/2 cups no salt added Beef Broth

Seasoning
3/4 cup Plowboys Bovine Bold
2 tsp celery seed
Light seasoning with Weber Montreal Steak

3rd of July
Started with 13 pound whole packer prime brisket, trimmed a lot of fat and ended up with only 7 pound brisket.

4th of July
10:30 a.m. - started my smoker
10:45 a.m. - injected brisket then rubbed with white miso and seasoned
11:30 a.m. - brisket on the smoker and fat cap down, smoker temp was 215. I really wanted this at 300 to put the brisket on.
Noon - Smoker was up to 275
12:30 p.m. - Went out and "burped" the smoker, temp was still at 275
1:00 p.m. - Smoker finally up to 300
2:00 p.m. - Smoker was at 340 and I left it alone since I didn't get it up to temp right away
3:00 p.m. - Smoker was holding steady at 325, wrapped brisket in heavy duty foil and poured in 1/4 cup reserved injection. IT of brisket was around 157. Fat cap up when put back on.
5:00 p.m. - The smoker had been still holding steady at 325, checked the brisket and was probe tender. IT was around 203-207. Removed brisket from smoker, wrapped in some more foil and towels then threw in a cooler to rest
7:15 p.m. - Time to slice and eat. When I removed from the cooler the brisket was still too hot to handle with bare hands. Used my $1 cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over top and sliced that bad boy up.
8:00 p.m. - Full stomach and could barely move!

Label.jpg Seasonings-Injection.jpg Trimmed1.jpg Trimmed2.jpg Seasoned.jpg Rested.jpg Sliced.jpg SlicedPoint.jpg BendTest1.jpg BendTest2.jpg

Edit: should have mentioned that yours looks great and I'm sure tasted great. ATBBQ has some very good recipes.
I have tried this rub a few times on brisket. Great flavor a bark. very dark ulost like a meteorite
Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta Steakhouse rub and it's at All Things BBQ.

Brisket.JPG

Last edited:
Edit: should have mentioned that yours looks great and I'm sure tasted great. ATBBQ has some very good recipes.
I have tried this rub a few times on brisket. Great flavor a bark. very dark ulost like a meteorite
Oakridge BBQ Carne Crosta Steakhouse rub and it's at All Things BBQ.

View attachment 452745
I'll have to give that a shot sometime, the ingredients sound delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky