UMAI Lonzino

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johngolf01

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
This is my 1st attempt at charcuterie so appreciate any feedback.

Bought an Umai Charcuterie kit. Following the attached recipe. Purchased 2 pork tenderloins (not loins) equaling 3.1 lbs.

Mixed up the spices (calculated for 3.1 lbs).

Had a decent amount of spice left, so just added the excess to each tenderloin.

After the fact I realized the recipe called for pork loin not tenderloin. I imagine it will cure just fine. My question is do you think the 10 day cure time is too long? I would hate to ruin it by over curing. Is that even possible?

My current plan is to follow the recipe as stated so cure for 2 weeks then dry for 3 to 4 weeks.

Attachments

• 20181216_160643.jpg
    20181216_160643.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 25
I am doing the same recipe right now. I just finished the te week cure and put them in the Umai bags on Friday. Now the three week wait.

As for your question I do not think the cure time will be too long. But I am no expert. Hopefully one of the guys that do this often will answer.

Good luck, looking forward to your results.
Link

Lonzino and Lomo are around 25 percent weight loss right now. Been going for about 3 weeks.

Also just finished curing capicola for 10 days.

Time to wait. Photos next

Ok being this is my first time dabbling in Charcuterie, I'm a bit nervous although I'm confident I followed the directions to the T.

In the last photo, you can see a different shade if pink in the center if the tenderloin (not a consistent color all the way thru).

That's the only bit that has me nervous. Thought the cure would be the same color through the entire cross section...

Anywho, I ate four pieces, tasted amazing..... extremely pleased.... I'll let you know how I feel in 2 hours!

Also, one other question, how do all you store? Just in ziploc in fridge indefinitely? Or vac seal sand freeze?

Btw that slice was in one section of the loin, the other sections dont look the same (maybe just a fattier section)

Ok being this is my first time dabbling in Charcuterie, I'm a bit nervous although I'm confident I followed the directions to the T.

In the last photo, you can see a different shade if pink in the center if the tenderloin (not a consistent color all the way thru).

That's the only bit that has me nervous. Thought the cure would be the same color through the entire cross section...

Anywho, I ate four pieces, tasted amazing..... extremely pleased.... I'll let you know how I feel in 2 hours!

No reason to be nervous about the change in color. 100% totally normal for homemade and is much more the normal than the exception. The outside is just a bit drier than the center. Enjoy!!

Thanks! Yep, the inside was a bit soft but still tasted great. I just let it ride in the garage fridge and do not control humidity or temp.

Looking forward to getting my slicer for paper thin cuts!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky