UDS two Pork Butt ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmcg

Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
So being new to smoking I have discovered conflicting info.

I'm cooking two Pork Butts w bone in and each is roughly 10.5 lbs each, and I'm having a hard time deciding when to start cooking them.

We would like to start serving at about 5:30 - 6pm.

Cooking them together by one standard, 1.5-2 hrs per lb I have read I should be looking at 30-44 hrs.

Another standard I read about said, 1 hr per lbs and 20-30mins for an additional butt on same smoker, so I should be looking at 22-33 hours.

And a 3rd is that since they are both separate butts and not one whole shoulder it should only take 11-16 hrs.

I know there are done when temp is right but having never even cooked one before I'm at a loss of what time I should start mine.

Thanks in advance.

I answered this in your other thread.

You base your time on the largest butt, which is about 10 lbs.

Add 1/2 hour to the time because it will take a little longer for the smoker to get back to temp when you put 20# of cold meat in it, as opposed to just 10#.

So if you figure 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound at 225, your looking at 15-20 hours. If they get done early, then just wrap them in foil & put them in a 170 degree oven & they will stay hot until you want to pull them.

If you want to eat at 6:00PM, then I would start them around 9:00PM the night before.

Al

Yeah what Al said.

However if you want to shave some time off crank that UDS up to 285-300. You can get your cook time down to 1-1.25 hours per pound. So 10-12 hours. I always add an additional hour on to the base as a buffer and a rest period after the smoke. You could even add up to 3 hour buffer and be fine. A pork butt will hold temp wrapped in foil and in towels for that long.

Since you're using a new smoker and haven't done this is recommend smoking the meat a day or two in advance and re-heating it. In my opinion pulled pork is better the next day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky