uds startup procedure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bowtieracin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
tama iowa
Hi i just got my 1st uds built and have seen before a great method for starting up a uds. By this i mean how many coals were lit then at a certain degree put vent caps on then this temp close valve so far or something like this but can't find it now when i need it, can someone help me out thanks so much in advance!!

Hi i just got my 1st uds built and have seen before a great method for starting up a uds. By this i mean how many coals were lit then at a certain degree put vent caps on then this temp close valve so far or something like this but can't find it now when i need it, can someone help me out thanks so much in advance!!
Try this minion method: half a basket of lump charcoal, half a chimney starter of charcoal briquettes. When the briquettes are burnt orange, dump on the unlit lump add your wood chunks of choice. Make sure your thermo is at the cooking grate level. START COOKING!

I don't wait for the temp to hit or the lump to catch, after the chunks go on..... the meat quickly follows. 

Now, I am still in my smoking meat infancy but it works for me and it is easier to get the temp up than to bring it down. You know this! Buena suerte!

PS. make sure to cap the 1" intakes, turn the ball valve to half open and your dome damper to halfway. The only adjustment you should have to make, in most cases will be reduce the diameter of the openings for the valve and or the damper.  

I like doing the minion with a basket of unlit briquettes and then dump lit lump on it.  Hotter at the begining, and lasts longer that way, 

some suggest turning the chimney upside down and fill the smaller section with charcoal therefore not having to count them. I do that and dump the coals over the unlit right in the center

I do the minion but i only put like 12 briq in the bottom and then the unlit on top of that.
How well does this work and what are the benefits of doing it this way? Does it matter TOP or BOTTOM?

I have definitely noticed a difference when using briquettes as my unlit instead of lump for the unlit.

Hey! Jim MInion can you weigh in on this, C'MON!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky