UDS Planning Check

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chogreshi

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Hello All,

I am in the planning stage of starting a UDS with a 55 Gallon Drum and I am thinking that I want to install 2 Cooking Grates and 1 Waterpan/Heat Deflector Grate. I plan to use the flat top and not the Weber Dome (Do not like the looks).

I have planned out where I am going to drill holes on photoshop and want someone just to check over my measurements and let me know if I should move them or if I will run into issues with placement.

The Firebasket I was planning to make is 9" x 24" Expanded Metal and 1" ash pan. If I can do the normal 12" x 24" Metal let me know cause I would rather go with the bigger size.

Your expertise would be appreciated

USD_Measurements (2).jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the info provided. I see your original plans had the grates at 5" and 9", was that enough space for larger meats like Pork Butt? or Roasts?

The first one I had, I used a Weber lid for, so plenty of room on the top rack.
The 2nd one I did, I just used a regular lid.
And to be honest I don't recall what measurements I used.
I smoked a lot of chicken.

Measure a pork butt and space them accordingly.

1. Don't add a waterpan. Just not needed. You won't need to add humidity to the barrel and your even-ness of temps won't benefit from it either. Just go with a basic heat deflector and save yourself both trouble and vertical real estate.

2. Two racks are great for the extra real estate but are also super frustrating to work with. Ask me how I know lol.

I'm not saying don't use two racks, but I am saying that it's a lot harder to maneuver the upper and lower racks with 300 degrees air and smoke blowing into your face, especially when they're loaded down with food you're trying to not drop.

You can only have a hot UDS open for so long before it starts to flame up. It will turn into an inferno in no time. Again ask me how I know. So bear this in mind during the design and build stage of your barrel :-)

When I built a UDS, I put a second rack in. I never used it it was a pain in the a$$. I did go with a kettle lid and a hinge, and that made life a lot better

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky