UDS lid stuck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tyler Anthony

Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Hi,
I am working on building my first UDS. I bought a food grade barrel from a place that sells food oil. I started burning it out over the weekend. I did a burn out on Saturday for a few hour and then again on Sunday. When I put the lid back on after my last burnout, it got stuck. I am going to use some brute force to get it off but I am more curious on why it is stuck and what I can do to prevent this in the future. Has this happened to anybody? does it have to do with the food oil inside of it? Is there a way to prevent this from happening every time is use it? are their any tricks to getting it off?

Thank you

That's odd. It's not unusual for a drum to a little out of round so rotating the lid a few degrees will result in a better fit. But I've never had a lid stick. Maybe you have some residue from the burnout that kind of glued the lid on?

Reactions: TNJAKE
Could it have created a vacuum after the lid was put on and it cooled down? You didn't mention if you had any vents installed yet or not

Bung holes were removed and there are already 3 air holes cut into the bottom. My guess was that there was some type of glue situation but I was curious if this has happened to anyone or how to prevent it.

Bung holes were removed and there are already 3 air holes cut into the bottom. My guess was that there was some type of glue situation but I was curious if this has happened to anyone or how to prevent it.
I don't use a drum smoker , but when my WSM was new it did the same thing . From grease residue on the top lip . Lid would NOT come off . I didn't want to pry on it , so I reheated it .
After it was good and seasoned it stopped doing it . Like I said , not sure about a drum .
I would guess the oil solidified when it cooled down causing the problem .

Hit it with a weed burner or build a small charcoal fire on the lid, and it will come off.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky