UDS build stainless steel drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbob1105

Original poster
May 4, 2020
I have a stainless drum, has anyone built an UDS with one, I have some questions.
can I paint it? with what ie; special paint

I think that the main benefits of using a stainless steel drum are that you won't have to worry about rust or damage to paint. I would advise against painting for sure. I have a painted Hunsaker drum and I keep it in a garage so I don't have those issues, but I kinda wish I would have shelled out the extra money to get a shiny SS drum anyways.

I think that the main benefits of using a stainless steel drum are that you won't have to worry about rust or damage to paint. I would advise against painting for sure. I have a painted Hunsaker drum and I keep it in a garage so I don't have those issues, but I kinda wish I would have shelled out the extra money to get a shiny SS drum anyways.
Thanks for the advice, I will keep it unpainted.

You might consider checking out the Hunsaker website if you are needing supplies to finish your build. They sell SS kits and parts. Good people to do business with too.
I'll definitely check them out thanks for the advice.

I would almost look to give it a nice polish with a step up sanding process all the way up to say 1500 or 2000 grit. Then give it some high temp clear coat. She would be so shiny

Reactions: forktender
Shiny is nice, but if it were mine I would be more concerned with the inside and what I was using for the air intakes as well as the exhaust.

John
Hey john
This will be my first build, as far as the inside goes I was told that it was never used, but it was laying around for a while, it has a sealed lid so I'm gonna use a Weber lid I wish I( could find an exhaust that I can put on the Weber lid to get better updraft) and 2- 1 1/2 inch intakes

Cool !! SS smoker, I have a SS grill i've had for 20 years still looks good

Gary

Hey john
This will be my first build, as far as the inside goes I was told that it was never used, but it was laying around for a while, it has a sealed lid so I'm gonna use a Weber lid I wish I( could find an exhaust that I can put on the Weber lid to get better updraft) and 2- 1 1/2 inch intakes

I am assuming that you have done research regarding what works best for drum smokers.

The UDS Builds forum has quite a bit of information to leaf through.

John

Reactions: fivetricks
I am assuming that you have done research regarding what works best for drum smokers.

The UDS Builds forum has quite a bit of information to leaf through.

John
I have been doing research all winter long, I am pretty green on the build aspect of the UDS but
I know my way around a pit. Have a question? maybe you can answer for me, I going to cut the top off from the inside of the rolled edge, will I be able to get a top that will fit with a band or that I can put on a hinge and a clamp? instead of using the Weber lid.

I have been doing research all winter long, I am pretty green on the build aspect of the UDS but
I know my way around a pit. Have a question? maybe you can answer for me, I going to cut the top off from the inside of the rolled edge, will I be able to get a top that will fit with a band or that I can put on a hinge and a clamp? instead of using the Weber lid.
I know I have mentioned Hunsaker already, I don't have any investment in them other than being a customer. I would suggest giving them a call with a question like this. When you call the number there is a very good chance that you will be on the phone with the owner of the company. That dude is very helpful and I am willing to bet he would be very helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky