UDS bacon questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stubborn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Indiana
I've been digging around on forums the last couple of weeks reading all I can find on smoking my own bacon.  There are still a couple of things I'm stumped on...

I'll be using a drum, mainly for the temp stability.  My cheap SFB unit is just to erratic to try this on.  Or maybe I'm just too lazy to babysit the darn thing.    During the summer sun, my drum will run up to 150 just sitting there.  I figure I need to wait until the summer heat is over to even attempt this.    Anyway, am I correct in assuming that the secret to keeping the temp low is a less charcoal lit in the beginning?

I've had no luck finding bellies under $5.00/lb, but it was without the skin.  It's not worth doing at that price, but I'm hoping to find something cheaper.  If I come up with one tht has the skin on, how/when do I remove it?

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.

I think most remove it b4 the cure .But al cured and smoked his w/ the skin on and then it just cut right off w/ a filet knife. ( the smoked rind makes good seasoning for a pot of beans)

Cut off the skin and smoke at night. Save the skin and make cracklins. That's the best of both worlds right there. Also look into a AMS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky