Type Fish ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buddy55

Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Hello from Bud
I have a question. Can any fish be smoked? My son is asking about smoking tilapia. I usually do not eat fish, too many fish sticks while growing up. You know, catholic up-bringing and such.
I did a small search, but did not see much (well, I saw a lot. But do not know)
Are there certain fish you should not smoke?
Just asking (do something to help and thank my son with)

i once smoked a salmon for a freind and i said never again, i had to scrub the entire inside of my smoker to get rid of the fish smell

Any fish can be brined and smoked. Fish with more oils are usually preferred for the smoker because the finished product of a less oily fish can be a tad dry.

Reactions: thirdeye
i once smoked a salmon for a freind and i said never again, i had to scrub the entire inside of my smoker to get rid of the fish smell
LOL- yes to this. If you don’t have foil or a pan to catch the drippings your smoker may have a fishy smell for a couple of cooks.

Yeah, dang kids being so dang helpful. I was in ICU for about 6 - 8 weeks. He stepped up and helped his mom (and me). Getting her to and from the hospital, steading her nerves, and just being a great big help. Still trying to get up and about. Just a slow go.
Take your time. Hope you're on the mend soon!

I usually grill talapia, but I wouldn't be opposed to smoking it. Oil rich fish like salmon fare better for smoking, as has already been mentioned, but I'd still give it a go.

Oh, I also wanted to know the best wood to use. I read about peach and apricot, I have maple. I also have mesquite and hickory.
What are some more suggestions.??
And , is tilapia an oily (??) fish?
oh I just notice. Dang auto-correct my title is to be "FISH"

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Fruit woods are what I use with fish. Mesquite and hickory will overpower the subtle flavor of fish, IMO.

Sounds like a son to be proud of for sure! Can't be much help with the fish smoking but take your time and hope you get healed up.

Ryan

Oh, I also wanted to know the best wood to use. I read about peach and apricot, I have maple. I also have mesquite and hickory.
What are some more suggestions.??
And , is tilapia an oily (??) fish?
oh I just notice. Dang auto-correct my title is to be "FISH"
I'm trying to get your title changed to "Fish" for ya bud

Thank you TNJAKE, and Everyone for the help and support. That Corona virus just kicked my butt. I can get around just fair but it is kind of like asking for patience. I want it but I want it NOW!

Changing the title was easy sorry getting over covid is not so easy for you. Hang in there hopefully you'll continue to recover at a faster pace soon. If you need something edited you can always send me a PM.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I thought the same about hickory and mesquite. But like I said, I do not do much with fish.

My kids, WOW. All my kids stepped up. My wife was a wreck. And all three of the kids helped and consoled her. They all live nearby.by. My son lives with us. My daughters live in Thorton. I am really proud of them. And of course, this is not first is not the first time they have wowed me.

For my tastes, fish higher in oil are best when cured and smoked. Trout, salmon, steelhead, and tuna are my favorites.

Alder is too mild for my tastes, apple is acceptable, an apple and cherry mix works too. All that said, I have found that on thicker fillets.... I like a mix of pecan and hickory on occasion. This mix would likely be too strong for most.

It's fair to mention that flavor wood and smokiness is directly related to timing in the smoker, and moistness (or dryness/doneness) of the finished product. I like a moister product, maybe 150° maximum internal. Here is what that looks like; this is steelhead and the veins of fat are very obvious.
HnQqTDJ.jpg
This on the other hand is some trout from my local waters, so much thinner fillets. For this I would opt for apple or cherry.
d2D6VlQ.jpg

Reactions: Marknmd and TNJAKE
Smoked fish is great. Salmon, trout, stealhead...made all those. Tilapia might be a little to tender and fall apart - unless you get it skin on (never seen this).

I never had a fishy smell after either...not sure what thats about. I usually just scrape off and bits and start the next cook.

As far as I'm concerned all fish can be smoked!

Being from RI I'm partial to bluefish. Nothing better imo.

Reactions: Marknmd
Hello from Bud
I have a question. Can any fish be smoked? My son is asking about smoking tilapia. I usually do not eat fish, too many fish sticks while growing up. You know, catholic up-bringing and such.
I did a small search, but did not see much (well, I saw a lot. But do not know)
Are there certain fish you should not smoke?
Just asking (do something to help and thank my son with)
If you go to that link that Jake posted above, You will se that I said the "Tilapia" smoked was just as good as the Trout was.
So any fish that I ever smoked was Great.
And as far as ruining your smoker with the smell, I smoked over 100 pounds of Salmon over a period of 3 months, and it didn't affect any of the other meats I smoked before, during, or after all of those Salmon.

To avoid any confusion, this is the one Jake referred you to:

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003 and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky