Twist it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zardnok

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2006
Shreveport La
My back patio area is sloped to help with drainage and when I moved Puff into place, I was only concerned with the aesthetics of the patio and the smoke chamber was actually slightly lower than the firebox. It has been bothering me for a while now, so today I decided to pivot Puff 90 degrees so the stack is higher than the firebox and WOW, what a difference it is making so far! My temps are MUCH smoother and I am not using nearly as much fuel.

We will see how things come out throughout the day, but so far, twisting it seems to be a BIG improvement!!

I'm sure no expert on that Zardnok, but it sure makes sense with smoke and heat rising. I have heard the big mobile offset guys talk about leveling their pits at each location, but with an ever slight stack up angle. Maybe you have found Puff's (love that name) sweet spot.

My firebox temps before were 450ish to get a 225 smoke stap temp... Today I am at 375 over firebox to get the same 225. I even had to close the upper vents a tad to get the heat DOWN from 250!!

Further proof that continued experimentation is the KEY to perfecting the cue!

Time to go add my beans and foil my ribs!!!

I have a TON of pictures to post if I can ever get them off my phone! I will do a quick search around the site here and find some old pics I posted.

My house is on Cross Lake. The Patio area is behind the garage on the backside of the house. There are woods about 10 yards beside and behind my house, so if the wind is coming off the lake, there is a big draft.

puffyo8.jpg

This is a pic of Puff on the trailer at the Saints vs Cowboys tailgate party. I had 30 lb of brisket and 10 lb sausage on the bottom rack and 10 slabs of ribs on the top 3 racks. I fed about 100 folks before and after the game.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky