Turkey on a MES 30...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brettrose99

Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Do I just got the MES and have been a red blooded charcol/log up until now... still can't replace the charcoal, but this things is convenient and does an awesome job!!

Okay so for Turkey this year I'm thinking Slaughterhouse brine, rubbed down with Everglades Heat and smojed with a Cherry/mesquite??? anyone try anything close?... I'm open to suggestions! want to really wow everyone who ends up coming over.

Whats ur guys go to wood on Turkey? hickory/apple mix (I reg apple on chicken) or maybe a peach/hickory?

thanks in advance for any feedback. .. happy smoking!

I'm not a big fan of mesquite for poultry (or anything but maybe brisket for that matter) but that's my taste. Oak and cherry or any other fruitwood should be great. Seems you been smokin for some time so you know that the cherry is going to give the meat a pink / red tint. Don't overcook cause you think its raw. Have a happy.

maybe ill try cherry & apple... threw some thin sliced london broil on there sunday with a little hickory after soaking meat in soy/seasoning. . 9 hours later pretty damn good jerky!

i like to mix a fruit wood and a nut wood together. last year i did apple/hickory and it turned out amazing. you can mix just about any fruit and nut and it will taste good.

on this mes 30... for a 12lb Turkey, how long, temp? 230 @ 7hrs? obviously I will gauge doneness by internal temp, but looking for a ballpark so that I can plan... I just not sure if the mes will differ from what I'm used to on my charcoal/wood smoker. ..

The problem with the mes is that the temp readout tends to be so far off you have no idea how hot you are. If you don't have another accurate temp monitor to go by its a crap shoot. And if you cook at 230 you need to finish the bird in a hotter oven to crisp the skin. Its kind of rubbery otherwise.

gotcha.. I usually do about 240 on the charcoal for about 6 hours on a 12lb bird.. thinking it should eun about the same on mes... and yes ur right about the skin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky