Turkey is on!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is your time? You may just not quite have had it in long enough. sometimes the bird has to ride that TBS (thin blue smoke) for awhile to reach peak. also make sure your temp gauge is accurate
I'm about 5 hrs right now and I just made sure my temp gauge is calibrated right.

Yah thats not a bad temp for your bird at this stage. you maybe be goin 8 hours before you hit paydirt. just wrap loosely in foil if it starts gettin too dark outside. you using a mop?

I had meant to update you guys with photos yesterday but it got really hectic and I'm stuck in a conference today so I'll post photos when I get home. Overall things came out pretty well. I didn't time the smoke as well as I should have and the dark meat didn't quite cook all the way thru and I had to stick the legs & thighs in the oven to finish them off. Also, I didn't foil the bird early enough on the smoker and the skin came out darker than I wanted.

On the plus side, the breast came out awesome! We had also roasted a 6 LB breast in the oven and the only bird left on the platter after everybody ate, was the roasted one. The smoked meat went fast! Overall if I had to give myself an honest grade, I'd give a B. I need to work on the timing a bit more to ensure that it all gets to the right temp, but the breast was tenger & moist and everybody liked it. I'll post some final pics later on.

1d4f32f4_DSCF0354.jpg
f8b6974e_DSCF0344.jpg
32cc5250_DSCF0355.jpg
91e56f1d_DSCF0336.jpg
035c611a_DSCF0351.jpg
767e05a3_DSCF0334.jpg
db8dd712_DSCF0337.jpg

Here's just a few of the photos from my first turkey smoke. As I stated earlier, I still have some work to do to get it just right, but a good time was had by all and the smoked bird was the first thing to disapear!
1e2663ee_DSCF0339.jpg

That looks great, and you get to have an outdoor picnic Thanksgiving, thanks for rubbing that in, for all us northern folks we appreciate it
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky