Turkey in a mini?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
I love smoked turkey and have posted more than few on this site.  But I've always used my MES 40" to cook those birds.   I'm wondering if I can get a whole bird on the mini. I know it won't fit on the grate the traditional way, and really don't  want to smoke it in parts or pieces. 

I'm wondering if I can make a rig similar to the ones Ive seen for beer can in the butt chicken.  Only it would have to be a larger stand of course. 

Anyone out there tried this?

Thanks guys.

Brian

Example of the chicken rack.

I would get a smallish one and spatch like Case did.  

Thats the way I spatch anyway.   I dont smash them flat.

Thanks guys.  I was one Amazon or fleeebay the other day.  Someone actually makes a large turkey beer in the butt style rack.  Think I'll order it.  I've cut the bottom out of my pot so the defuser is low.  If I put the rack on the steamer ridge it could have the room. 

I was wondering if that would work too? I added a lower rack to my mini when I built it so I could to "sittin' chickens" . I have used the sittin chicken for years on my grill and in oven but never tried the turkey. I imagine if you could capture the juice...and there would be A LOT...this might work if the bird fit inside and was in the 15 lb range.

My chicken one worked great the first time I used it on the mini. I used a pyrex pie pan to capture the run off.  I got them in a combo..so I will have to try it before TDay.

Last edited:

Make a UDS Brian, as much as I love the mini it's not made to cook everything. 
I'm convinced I NEED one.  I had seen a "kit" a while back that struck my interest.  Came with racks, vents, hardware. Beer for the project.  Well, okay you had to supply your own beer.  But looked like it would save you some time and had a nice finished look.  Cant remember the name of the company that put the kit together.... Bet someone here does.  Big Daddy maybe? 

Anywho... My Mini has got me thinking vertical.  Need to go check out the UDS group.  Wonder if they will let me in without know the secret handshake. b

I'd just go buy the parts at the hardware store. If you can build a mini you can build an UDS! With that said we did a really nice bone in turkey breast in the mini. If you used the diffuser you could get a 12 pound turkey to fit. I did a 13 pound picnic on the lower rack with the diffuser in. Everything went just as planned!

LOL  That took 5 minute to answer.  Thanks Adam.  Great site right? 

Case, You know your much more mechanical than I am.  I like instructions!  Haaaaa!b

Deep fryers for turkeys have a rack which runs in the butt and out the neck to pull the turkey out.  Get one of those and insert it up-side-down so the breast is at the lowest point in your mini.  This way, the higher temperature at the base of the mini works to your advantage.  Also, the juices run to the breast meat in this fashion.

I agree with Case. I built my own but bought the Big Poppa basket.

So I will throw my $0.02 in on this one.

The sitting turkey stand looks like a winner, never used it, but looks like it would work well.

If i was to try this I would do it like this.

Either use the defuser level or just get 3 more bolts and make a lower level. Cost a couple bucks.

Use a small turkey like maybe 10lb.

Prep as normal for big smoker.

Place standing with the legs to the bottom. Thigh meat and leg meat very forgiving and usually takes longer at the joints. Breast meat cooks faster and drys out quicker.

Keep your temps lower till the last 45min then get it over 375 to crisp the skin or crisp in oven.

Just my thoughts.

Case, You know your much more mechanical than I am.  I like instructions!  Haaaaa!b

Okay here ya go, Dirts UDS INSTRUCTIONS!

Step 1. Buy a half rack of good beer

Step 2. Drink two to three of those beers and stare at the barrel. I'd recommend having a stool in your shop, or recliner depending on how comfy your shop is.

Step 3. Go to hardware store buy $100 worth if parts you may or may not need.

Step 4. Pick up more beer

Step 5. Stare at barrel some more.

Step 6. Drill 3-4 holes that are the wrong size.

Step 7. Drink more beer

Step 8. Go back to hardware store for bigger parts to fit holes.

Step 9. Drink three more beers and stare at barrel

Step 10. Wake up hung over go online and buy Big Poppa Kit!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky