Turkey drums

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
So every year around this time I try to convince myself that I actually like turkey. And no matter what I do, how I cook it, it's only ok, at least to me. It was with this in mind when I said "ah let's try some turkey this weekend".

I decided to go with drums and seasoned them with various spice blends. One got Holy Voodoo and one got this spicy coffee rub. Onto the PitBoss at 400 degrees and....

IMG_20211017_201531_124.jpg IMG_20211017_201531_167.jpg IMG_20211017_201531_224.jpg
....FINALLY I hit it just right. I coated them at the end with Cholula wing sauce and they are magnificent.

Paired with some butternut squash to make a nice lunch for the week.

IMG_20211017_201531_274.jpg

Thanks for looking All!

Looks tasty to me!! You want to really love turkey drums do some cured Disney legs. I make them around the holidays and people inhale them and want leftovers to take home.

Reactions: JCAP and zwiller
Big like on those legs and bonus for the butternut squash! I love butternut squash. it’s strange, I’m with you, I only eat Turkey this time of year too and I never really care that much. Until you mentioned it I never realized I’m really trying to convince myself!

Reactions: JCAP
Nice legs! How long does the squash take to cook? Have you ever tried brining them? It makes all the difference in the world, if you don’t normally brine much then it would be cost effective to try them out on some cheap chicken (unless you can get turkey cheaper) until you find the one that works best. I normally smoke whole turkeys (I have 6 kids) and there usually is only enough leftover to make a soup. I am a big fan of brining.

Looks tasty to me!! You want to really love turkey drums do some cured Disney legs. I make them around the holidays and people inhale them and want leftovers to take home.
THIS! Pops low salt brine is perfect for it. That said, those legs looks great to me and big fan of the mexi hot sauces!

Reactions: JCAP and jcam222
Sure looks good to me . Interesting with the hot sauce . I bet that was good .

I cure and smoke mine to a safe temp . Hold in the fridge post smoke and into a crock pot with whatever you like . Pretty good on rice or egg noodles .

Haven't tried this yet , but plan to this year .

Reactions: JCAP and zwiller
Nice Job, Neighbor!!!
I have never been a Turkey Fan either, except for cold Turkey Sammies with leftover Breast Meat.
Like.

Bear

Thanks for the likes and comments all. Much appreciated.

I've never heard of these Disney legs. Any particularly recipe you favor?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky