Turkey day is almost upon us

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hinds90

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Curious what size turkey have you guys been able to fit in your mini WSM if you've been able to fit one at all?

I always smoke breasts only anyway since everyone here likes white meat. But I figure I could fit 2 - 1 on each rack on The Baby WSM.Funny, I was looking at it today when cleaning ash for the same reason....

Hmmmm didn't think about just doing breast. As of now its just me and the wife so breast may be a better idea.

Yeah man,I always cook mine "breast down" , doesn't look that pretty but is moister from the self basting. Put a tray of stuffing or yams on the lower rack.

Reactions: hinds90
Something for me to find out. Never did a turkey in my mini.

I brined and smoked a small turkey once. It looked like it deserved to be on a box of stove top stuffing or something. Looked perfect. If I tied off the legs and pumped it full of air, we could have shot hoops with it because the skin was so rubbery. The meat was moist and tasted great though. Skin was not edible.

Yeah I did some leg quarters at 300 315 and still didn't get crispy skin. I think the brine and high temperature smoke key. Or breast down like was mentioned above

Oh man I'm getting a craving for turkey again.I like to cook a breast, but since they don't stand up well I usually take some heavy foil and crumple it into a collar to hold the breast upright.

I had to remove the upper rack for this bird.
turkey_done.jpg
This cast iron casserole is named The Lifeboat.

I brined and smoked a small turkey once. It looked like it deserved to be on a box of stove top stuffing or something. Looked perfect. If I tied off the legs and pumped it full of air, we could have shot hoops with it because the skin was so rubbery. The meat was moist and tasted great though. Skin was not edible.
For crisp skin you have to dry the skin.Put it in the fridge uncovered over night or use a fan for ~3hrs -either method until the skin is dry or really tacky to the touch....One of those folding Geisha fans or a palm leaf works good for fanning....HAH! o_O

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky