Turkey bred for flavor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lathrop

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Port Townsend, Washington
A few years ago I gave up buying pork in the supermarket because the flavor was universally awful. I went to buying from local farmers and even slaughtered and butchered one. In the last year or so the Supermarket pork quality seems to have improved so I do buy it now. Turkey like other animals can be bred for flavor or just size and cost of production. Think Mangalista pig. does anyone know of a good tasting Turkey breed. In the past I have tried Heirloom breeds that were less than truly flavorful. I would like to smoke a turkey in a BGE.

Riverbrook Lake Farms turkey,

Bob Belcher swears by them, but there is a 5-year waiting list.

JK, had to go there....

Reactions: jcam222
The bulk of the flavor in Poultry is not so much Breed as Diet. Take Two fast growing Cornish Cross, commercial chickens, feed them an identical diet of Purina Chicken Chow and they will taste the same. They will have the flavor we are currently used to. But feed one Purina and let a second Cross, truly Free Range, eating Grass, Bugs, and any morsel they can scrounge, anything except Purina Chicken Chow, and the flavors will be very different. The Free Range bird will have a MUCH more intense Chicken flavor. The same goes for Eggs, Turkeys and the Commercial White Hogs, diet can make a huge difference...JJ

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky