Turkey and Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
I was planning on doing a butt for Father's Day but my oldest daughter wants me to smoke a turkey, so I guess I'm doing both.

I've read that you usually do birds at a higher temp, but I want to keep at 225-235 for the butt.

Is it ok to cook the bird that low? I'm planning on brining it overnight.

Thanks.

Ron

Check the primary web page. There is an excellent article on smoking turkey, with emphasis on the time your bird spends in the 40 to 140 degree range. You will probalbly find evertything you need right there.

Thanks both of you guys. Yes I read Jeff's article and I read what Debi said on her website. It says 30-40 mins a pound for a 12 lbs bird that's 6 - 8 hours. I know you need to be careful with poultry and bacteria so i just wanted to check to see if anyone goes that slow with it?

I plan to keep it lower in the smoker then the butt so it doesn't drip on it.

Throw the turkey in the oven to crisp it up if you do it low. The skin tends to get soft and rubbery at low temps not crisp.

If you do the turkey alone at say 350 you can do it in 2.5 to 3 hours. Don't forget to check the internal temps!

Orange slices are nice on Turkeys too.

Orange slices, hmm that sounds good. I usually add some orange juice in my brine and stuff the inside with an orange cut up in 1/4's but I think some slice on the outside might be nice too.

If I put it in the oven last hour to crisp up the skin, what internal temperature should I pull it off the smoker ?

Pull it about 140 so you have planty of time. Preheat the oven first an spray it with olive oil.

Also if you like stuffing now the time to stuff it - it's hot. Preheat your stuffing in the nukulator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky