Tube or tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sl8o3b

Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I was recently given an older MES (gen 2 I believe). I 'm looking at the tube or tray. I see some say the tray doesn't work in high altitudes, I'm at 4300, high? I see some say that it does work at high altitude but you need to add more air flow, is taking the pellet hole dumpy wumpy thingy out good enough or is it to much?
I like the idea of a tray because it burns longer, in theory. The tube, only 4ish hours from what people actually report vs the longer times of the tray. The tube, I guess is made for grills and such that have a lower level of oxygen. With that said is it the tube high altituders need?

Thanks!

take the chip loader out and cut back a little on the top vent if you have trouble keeping the temps stable, the tray should work fine if it doesn't get soaked with juices

Another option could be if the tray doesn't function at your altitude and the tube does, get two tubes and change them out when you need a longer smoke. Have the second one ready to switch with the one that will burn out.

I hope this helps,

John

I like the idea of a tray because it burns longer, in theory. The tube, only 4ish hours from what people actually report vs the longer times of the tray. The tube, I guess is made for grills and such that have a lower level of oxygen. With that said is it the tube high altituders need?

The tube is recommended for higher altitudes.

I live at sea level and found that for some reason the tray struggled in my MES30 even with decent airflow.I started using the tube and it belched out way to much smoke so I started experimenting with it.I eventually settled on a tube modified with u-bolts,4" in the front and 3" in the back on the 6" tube.The back one isn't really necessary on the 12" but I still have one on the back,helps with airflow.

The angle helps slow the burn rate and its much harder for the pellets to fall out.Generally you get about an extra hour on the 6" and close to two on the 12".I've started using the expandable 7"-12" tube,it's very versatile in the 30.

Then I discovered a thread started by fellow member chopsaw chopsaw about using ground/crushed pellets in the tube and have never looked back.You almost double the smoke time of the tube.

I have a full write up on it here:https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/u-bolt-mod-for-the-amnts.271846/

Last edited:
I found the tray burned better with legs to increase the air flow...

Beef Ribs 010.JPG

I really appreciate your responses. This really helps. I'll finish using my chips today and get one this next week with some pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky