Trying to Smoke My First Turkey This Weekend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tunafish6900

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
 Well Trying to Smoke My First Turkey This Weekend. I Plan to Use An Apple Brine that ive obtained VIA the internet.I have a 15.25 Lb Turkey And an offset charcoal smoker with some aftermarket Mods. I have no idea what temp to maintain or how long to smoke it for.  Any Advise Would Be Great.

I would try to run yous smoker between 230-250° for most of the smoke, then at the last 30 minutes or so kick it up to 300°+ to crisp the skin. As for time... you cook by temperature not time, I usually shoot for 180° in the thigh.

well i kinda would like to know about how long it might take, or whin to start the bird

Kinda hard to say on a time, I'm doing a 7# turkey breast this Sunday, I've done a few turkeys already, some whole, some just the breast, and you have to go by temp, which I do the same as JIRodriguez, cook around 230-250*, and kick up the temp at the end for about a 1/2 hour to crisp skin. You can assume roughly 1/2 hour a pound, but that all depends, on too many variables such as wind, maintaining a constant temp, etc. Good Luck

I would allow for at least 8 hrs. if not more like 10 hrs., you can always wrap it in foil and toss it in the cooler with a bunch of towels to keep it hot and moist if it finishes early.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky