Trying to Smoke My First Turkey This Weekend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tunafish6900

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
 Well Trying to Smoke My First Turkey This Weekend. I Plan to Use An Apple Brine that ive obtained VIA the internet.I have a 15.25 Lb Turkey And an offset charcoal smoker with some aftermarket Mods. I have no idea what temp to maintain or how long to smoke it for.  Any Advise Would Be Great.

I would try to run yous smoker between 230-250° for most of the smoke, then at the last 30 minutes or so kick it up to 300°+ to crisp the skin. As for time... you cook by temperature not time, I usually shoot for 180° in the thigh.

well i kinda would like to know about how long it might take, or whin to start the bird

Kinda hard to say on a time, I'm doing a 7# turkey breast this Sunday, I've done a few turkeys already, some whole, some just the breast, and you have to go by temp, which I do the same as JIRodriguez, cook around 230-250*, and kick up the temp at the end for about a 1/2 hour to crisp skin. You can assume roughly 1/2 hour a pound, but that all depends, on too many variables such as wind, maintaining a constant temp, etc. Good Luck

I would allow for at least 8 hrs. if not more like 10 hrs., you can always wrap it in foil and toss it in the cooler with a bunch of towels to keep it hot and moist if it finishes early.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky