Trying new things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smokenhans, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Well I have a Brinkman Smoke-n-Grill and I have now done pork butt (pulled pork) and and I have done a pork tenderloin and the next thing I am thinking is a whole turkey and I am a little neverous, any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated! Also now that I have started I absolutely love smoking and want to do it all the time, I hope that some day I can upgrade smokers and was looking for some opinions on what would be a good next step that is resonable I am on a very tight budget! I love the aticles and really appreciate being part of this group.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  2. for your next smoker. What price range do you want to be in? what do you want it to use for fuel. about how large?

Happy smoken.

David

3. big griz

big griz Fire Starter

You might start with the modifications recommended for the Brinkman to make it a better smoker if you have not already done so. Jeff has a good tutorial at http://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker or you can search Google and you will find several ways. It might be a good inexpensive way to start. A good next step might also be to build your own UDS...not real expensive and you get the joy of knowing you did it!Good luck on wahtever you decide!

4. I have a pretty tight budget my wife is laid-off right now and has had a lot of medical problems this year, I have to young girls, so like most people I have to watch everything I spend closely, I really enjoy smoking/cooking with wood and lump charcoal, I am not real picky I just love doing it and my Brinkman was just the starting point.

5. Hello and welcome Smokenhans.  themule asked the important questions.  Big Griz mentioned the UDS.  Gets a little chilly there in the winter as I understand. [​IMG]  That's gonna make holding temp in a UDS harder to do.  If you are in a rural area I'll bet you could find and old fridge or freezer stuck out in a barn.  And locate a propane stove/cooker with oven.  Even if off that well known auction site ( E-B88 ).  Fridge is insulated and will have a door seal.  Good for winter.  Old oven provides all the burners and controls needed to make it work.  Good winter project.  Check out fridge freezer builds in the forum.  I haven't gotten to start mine yet due to commitments but expect to have less than 200 in the build when finished not counting custom paint ( if I can afford it ).  I have posted the starting picts.  Have a look to see what I mean.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141051/1955-fridge-build