Trying a Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iowa josh83

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Iowa
I'm following POP's recipe but all I could find was "Dutch Curing Salt" at my local bulk food store. I'll admit I didn't pay much for it so I'm not out much but I don't want to screw up using it instead of the #1 Pink stuff. Anyone ever heard of "Dutch" curing salt? It does have a pink hue to it but nothing like the stuff I saw online. Would I be safe using it in the brine that POP's has?

Thanks for any help!

I just did a search for Dutch Curing Salt and didn't find anything.

Is there a label on it that lists the ingredients?

Took a look at the bag, no ingredients listed. I wondered if that would be the case since it was packaged at the bulk foods store. I'll call over there and see if they can tell me whats in it. What should I be looking for in the ingredients or what should there not be??

Thanks!

Called the bulk store and the looked it up for me.

Salt

Sugar

Poly(something) Glycol

.5% Sodium Nitrite

.5% Sodium Nitrate

(some) Anti-caking ingredient

The package says primarily used for making bacon and ham.

Do I have the right stuff??

Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky