Truth BBQ in Houston

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
I was in Houston so had to check it out. Truth rated #3 by Texas Monthly.
One hour wait in line, and cold for Houston at 45F.
Food was very good. But ...
I like that salt helps bring out flavors, and that salt helps with crust. But ...
Sorry, but food was too salty.
Going thru Dallas but no time for Pecan Lodge. Been there numerous times. Some of the best IMHO.

Menu (man, how prices are going up)

IMG_7690.jpeg

Brisket combo plate (w 2 sides). I asked for point and flat.

IMG_0548.jpeg

El Jefe: sandwich with brisket, sausage, cole slaw. They make both jalapeño-cheddar and pepperjack sausages.

IMG_0552.jpeg

And of course the beef rib at $30/lb. The wife haves to get ribs whenever we go to Texas.

IMG_0549.jpeg

Here is their portable stick burner with 2 fireboxes. The restaurant has 5 or 6 smokers, maybe 1000 gal or so.````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

IMG_7701.jpeg

I have become more salt sensitive in my old age. There is a place north of Dallas called Hutchen's and they never disappoint. My go to is usually Rudy's. Gas Station BBQ but they have been on point lately!

I have become more salt sensitive in my old age. There is a place north of Dallas called Hutchen's and they never disappoint. My go to is usually Rudy's. Gas Station BBQ but they have been on point lately!
The one time I have been to Texas, Rudy's was the bbq place we stopped. Still remember it and enjoyed the food. Also remember how intrigued I was that it was part of a gas station

Nothing worse than too much salt, in my humble opinion.

Grandma used to say: "too much salt is the sign of a bad cook."

Seems lots of things have way to much salt in them. Nice of you to share your experience and pictures!

No kidding! I haven't gone out to eat in three years now, looking at those prices I ain't in any rush either. RAY
I'm in the same boat Ray. Between Covid and prices I'm staying clear of restaurants. I've seen too many people leaving the restroom at work without washing their hands or just giving them a quick rinse. I can only imagine that it's the same at most other places.

Chris

My wife and I have been so disappointed with the quality, flavor, and prices of the restaurants we've gone to over the last decade or so. And it's only gotten worse. When I can make better tasting food than a restaurant, something is wrong. I'm a good cook but not a chef.

My wife wanted to eat out on our anniversary last month. I chose a place 5 minutes from our house we'd never been to located in a suburban shopping center. Casual atmosphere and no reservations allowed. A little voice told me to take her there but get there early.

5 PM arrival. Great staff. I ordered an apple-brined pork loin as a test. My wife went with smoked and braised short ribs. Total of 2 craft beers. 2 entrees. 2 desserts. Tip. Buck and a quarter.

The food knocked our socks off. Beautifully plated. Wonderful flavors. And perfectly prepared.

The Chef's Table.

We'll be back.

Reactions: jcam222
I don't mind paying good $ for good food, been highly disappointed lately, walked out of a cracker barrel that served us cold food then when we complained was sorry she said, no mention of correcting. I'm over the lack of caring and high prices , reckon Iam getting cranky in my old age

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Food was very good. But ...
I like that salt helps bring out flavors, and that salt helps with crust. But ...
Sorry, but food was too salty.

Thanks for the review and the pictures
And I am with you on the salt. We have noticed this with a few of the places we go to , either a burger joint of our favorite family style restaurant . Most of the foods have way too much salt lately. And it is not just us being more sensitive , it is the food .

David

OP here.
And the prices keep going up.
And the lines are still long.

We grew up in Texas and, our grown kids live in Dallas and Houston. So we visit periodically and always sample some Texas BBQ. Some of the places we've visited include Truth's, Pinkerton's, Naaman, Rudy's, Hard Eight, Sonny Bryan's, Oak'd, Lockhart, Pecan Lodge, and others I don't recall.
I gotta say I've had some pretty good Q.

My wife and I have been so disappointed with the quality, flavor, and prices of the restaurants we've gone to over the last decade or so. And it's only gotten worse. When I can make better tasting food than a restaurant, something is wrong. I'm a good cook but not a chef.

My wife wanted to eat out on our anniversary last month. I chose a place 5 minutes from our house we'd never been to located in a suburban shopping center. Casual atmosphere and no reservations allowed. A little voice told me to take her there but get there early.

5 PM arrival. Great staff. I ordered an apple-brined pork loin as a test. My wife went with smoked and braised short ribs. Total of 2 craft beers. 2 entrees. 2 desserts. Tip. Buck and a quarter.

The food knocked our socks off. Beautifully plated. Wonderful flavors. And perfectly prepared.

The Chef's Table.

We'll be back.

Funny... my girlfriend was telling me about that place a couple weeks ago. She heard about it from a friend and said she wants to try it. Sounds like you had a great experience there, but that it's also pricey. I'll definitely be checking it out, but not sure it will be a place we go often if it's that pricey.

In regards to the food at Truth being too salty, I'm wondering if that's a common thing at a lot of the famous BBQ spots in Texas. While I have never been there, I did order a brisket from Franklin BBQ on Goldbelly.com. I was shocked at how salty it was.

Funny... my girlfriend was telling me about that place a couple weeks ago. She heard about it from a friend and said she wants to try it. Sounds like you had a great experience there, but that it's also pricey. I'll definitely be checking it out, but not sure it will be a place we go often if it's that pricey.
Hey Kevin,

Anniversary. Need I say more?

There's another place even closer we went one anniversary. French restaurant. Got high praise online. Reservations suggested, not required. I made reservations. Paid closer to two bucks, and I felt ripped off. When the chef came by the table to ask about our meal, my only response was "It was fine." I didn't want to ruin my wife's night out. Paid. Left.

That was probably ten years ago. They still exist. We're not customers.

Reactions: kevin james
Never had BBQ in TX, I can say I have eaten at 3 or more BBQ places near Greenville, NC and was disappointed in all of them. Did have some decent BBQ in NH though??

Like was mentioned earlier between the $$, long waits and making better food myself (Thanks guys) I don't want to eat out at all. OH and after the last trip to the ER from Friday's restaurant, maybe my wife will agree with me ...at least for a little while.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky