Troubleshooting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Risingjay1

Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Hi all, Jason here. I was really trying not to ask for help but just may have put myself intp a pickle. I have (2) 250 gallon tanks. I just cut one up for the firebox. I thought my calculations were correct, thought my tanks were 220 since that is what I was told, my stupid mistake.

Come to find out what I cut off for the firebox is 18,960 cu.in., 270.75 short of the recommended 1/3 or 19,230.75 cu.in. it should be. Am I splitting hairs over a 1.1 gallons (270.75)? I wanted to be 10-15% larger but that's not going to happen unless I cut the other end if the tank I got the firebox from. Was hoping to use the rest of that tank for another build.

Also, would it hurt to open the throat and stack up 10%?

Thanks and sorry for the questions. I really thought I had everything down.

Welcome to SMF. You might want to stop by the roll call section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about your project before you just start asking for help.

Welcome to SMF. You might want to stop by the roll call section and introduce yourself and tell us a little about your project before you just start asking for help.

He is telling a little something about himself, and his project!

Welcome to SMF RJ, you landed it the right spot! You really want to seek out the advice of one daveomak.fs daveomak.fs , he is the resident authority around these parts concerning all things in regard to offset smoke builds. Send him a PM, he's a very well respected man here, he'll put you on the right path. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw and DougE
All is good. I should have known roll call is SOP. Taken care of.

Oh yes, I've read a lot of daveomak's posts and definitely a very respected member. I feel he would say the FB is fine as long as I put a intake across from the throat opening. I could be wrong though.

Looks like my numbers above puts me 98.6% of 1/3.

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky