Trimming Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Northern_Cowboy

Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
Watched a YT video (wish I could remember the channel) where the guy trimmed out a lot of fat from between the flat and point. Any of you do that? I tried it this morning and the fat that is between the muscles is different. It's almost like it's oriented in strands rather than just an amorphous mass. Anyone else notice this?

These (there are two) will be my first full briskets on my new smoker. Last weekend I did a brisket flat and pulled pork. This weekend, it won't be 32-38°F all day, so I'm hoping to be have more success keeping temps within a tighter range.

I follow this guide in trimming and I havnt had a bad brisket. There is minimal trimming between the flat and the point.

I follow this video for my cook

I know this didn't really answer your question but I just thought I'd share what works for me.

What type of smoker are you using for your cook?

This is currently on the smoker. I trimmed a little more than suggested in the videos I posted.

20200326_170901.jpg

I follow this guide in trimming and I havnt had a bad brisket. There is minimal trimming between the flat and the point.
I follow this video for my cook
I know this didn't really answer your question but I just thought I'd share what works for me.
What type of smoker are you using for your cook?
This is currently on the smoker. I trimmed a little more than suggested in the videos I posted
I do enjoy Franklin's channel! I'm using a Char Griller Competition Pro offset stickburner.

Here's my day:
Brisket Start 3.27.20.jpg

Reactions: nomad_archer
the guy trimmed out a lot of fat from between the flat and point. Any of you do that?
Mostly yes. Most of the briskets I have bought had a significant fat layer between the point and flat... and i removed most of it. Occasionally this is not a big deal = not large enough to "need" to trim it out. IMO its a judgement call as to how much you want removed. Lots of videos on it. Some dont trim at all. I try to get the majority give or take. I check my OCD at the door when trimming. do you best and go with it. it usually turns out just fine

Mostly yes. Most of the briskets I have bought had a significant fat layer between the point and flat... and i removed most of it. Occasionally this is not a big deal = not large enough to "need" to trim it out. IMO its a judgement call as to how much you want removed. Lots of videos on it. Some dont trim at all. I try to get the majority give or take. I check my OCD at the door when trimming. do you best and go with it. it usually turns out just fine

The guy gave the reasoning of wanting to make the piece as flat as possible. When he was done, the point only stuck up maybe 1/4 of what it did prior to removing that fat in between.

That gob of fat is part of the "Deckle" and you can't get it all without separating the flat from the point. I just get as much as I can without injuring myself....
I'm a big Franklin fan myself and use his methods.
We have the same smoker :-)

Last edited:
That gob of fat is part of the "Deckle" and you can't get it all without separating the flat from the point. I just get as much as I can without injuring myself....
I'm a big Franklin fan, myself use his methods.
We have the same smoker :-)

I looked up "deckle" and got different information. Some refer to the point as the deckle. Some called the ribeye cap the deckle. Then, there's the one here referring to the fat between the flat and point.

I got a good bit of it out, but I didn't make a huge deal out of it. If it's fattier than it needs be, I'll be okay with that. Makes it more keto that way. lol

Reactions: MJB05615
I trim the wedge of fat between the point and flat because it's usually way to thick to render and after removing it the brisket lays flatter.

MnN1tcZ.jpg

IDawnTM.jpg

I looked up "deckle" and got different information. Some refer to the point as the deckle. Some called the ribeye cap the deckle. Then, there's the one here referring to the fat between the flat and point.

I got a good bit of it out, but I didn't make a huge deal out of it. If it's fattier than it needs be, I'll be okay with that. Makes it more keto that way. lol

Deckle means different things to different people, but the actual term "deckle" refers to a section of fat and breast bone nubs that is removed from the inside face of the brisket (not the fat cap face) by the processor before packaging. Years ago labels all said "Brisket Whole, Deckle Off". Nowdays most labels say Brisket, Boneless, Whole.

StKlfCA.jpg

YJX0bwS.jpg

I'm in the middle of curing a while brisket for pastrami. Cooking tomorrow. In the past I have not trimmed the fat from the point meeting the flat and it has been fine. This time, I did trim as much as I could, different texture, etc. I expect it to turn out fine as well. I hope to post pictures of the finished product Sunday. Stay safe.

Reactions: Northern_Cowboy
Tastes great, but overdone. The day went well, until about 7 hours in. Lost the ability to maintain heats. I think the wind picked up, throwing everything off. Got it back up and then it started raining, and I lost it again. Brought them in and finished in the oven. Wrapped at 165° and 158° (both were stalled at those points). Took them out of the oven at 205°/198°. The 205° was almost too soft to lift out of the foil (the flat is on the right in the first pic and the point is in the middle container; it was the larger of the two briskets). The second pic is the 198° flat sliced and point cut into chunks.

1585402314570.png

1585402382981.png

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Still looks good, and bark looks great. As long as it tastes good, that's the main thing, IMHO. Keep trying, that's how we learn. Good improvising due to weather and the elements.

Reactions: Northern_Cowboy
Sounds like you did everything correctly. Still looks good, and bark looks great. As long as it tastes good, that's the main thing, IMHO. Keep trying, that's how we learn. Good improvising due to weather and the elements.

It is still delicious. Since I get to eat both the "mistakes" and successes, I'm not dissuaded from continuing. :emoji_grin:

Doesn't look overdone to me unless you're talking about the bark maybe. Was it not tender enough?
The delicious part is what counts. Like!
(I've never pulled anything out of a smoker I couldn't eat)
;-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky