Tri-tp time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Tri-tip is one of my favorite things to cook. I bought a nice 2.75 lb Tri-tip last Friday night with plans to cook it last Saturday. Unfortunately life happened and things came up so I wasn't able to make it happen Saturday, and Sunday I already had commitments so that was out as well. Monday and Tuesday work was crazy so that wasn't going to happen either. Not wanting let a beautiful tri-tip to go to waste today was sh*t or get off the pot day... either cook the darn thing today or throw it in the freezer until who knows when. That was an easy decision... cook it today!

Since I'm working from home I went outside and got my Kat reverse flow cooker cleaned and prepped a little before I logged off work and then proceeded to trim and season the tri-tip. I kept it super simple as I always do with tri-tip.. kosher salt, course black pepper, and granulated garlic. To me, that's all you need on a good tri-tip.

Tri-tip is generally a really fast cook, and I like to get as much smoke flavor on it as I can which is hard when you cook at 250 and up... so I like to run the smoker as low as I possibly can and put the meat on straight out of the fridge in an effort to soak up as much clean smoke as possible before hitting my preferred pull temp. Today I was able to keep the pit between 170 and 190 and get two hours of smoke on it before it hit 115 IT. At that point I pulled it out, let it rest while I kicked the fire up a few notches, then did a reverse sear for a couple minutes on each side right inside the firebox using an old MES 30 rack that fits perfectly on top of my fire management basket.

I pulled it off the fire once it hit 125 IT and let it rest, and with the carry over it came up and topped out at 133.2 before it started dropping. I let it rest for about 20 minutes while I threw a par baked sourdough baget in the oven and prepped some au jus from some beef broth and minor's au jus base.

After the rest I sliced in to it, and man... this thing could not have come out better. Super juicy and perfect medium rare! I sliced it super thin and put together a nice French dip style sandwich with a little home made BBQ sauce and some provolone cheese, on top of some fresh baked sourdough.

Anyways, as they say... a picture is worth a thousand words so here you go LOL
Tri tip Pic 2.jpg
Tri tip Pic 1.jpg
Tri tip Pic 3.jpg
Tri tip Pic 4.jpg
Tri tip Pic 5.jpg

Looks great and perfectly cooked. We love Tri Tip when we can get 'em.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky