Tri Tip The Best & the Worst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear, in my 40+ years of grilling, roasting, smoking, and braising tri tips, that ain't a tri tip. Not sure what it is.

I've seen brisket points cut in a triangle and labeled as tri tips, but never anything that lean.

Fake tri tips were never an issue until the cut found popularity beyond California and the price increased 3-4x.
That is the first thing I thought when I saw the picture of the whole roast.

Bear, in my 40+ years of grilling, roasting, smoking, and braising tri tips, that ain't a tri tip. Not sure what it is.

I've seen brisket points cut in a triangle and labeled as tri tips, but never anything that lean.

Fake tri tips were never an issue until the cut found popularity beyond California and the price increased 3-4x.

Below is what Wild Fork displays as their "Prime Tri Tip" on their Ordering Page:

Bear
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 5.15.56 PM.png

No problem, Bear. My apologies for sharing an observation. And thank you for sharing that picture of what you received.

Smoke on, my friend.

Ray
No problem Ray.
That reply was specifically meant for the Jerk who attacks me every chance he gets. I guess it makes him feel like a tough guy.

Bear

Reactions: noboundaries
Bear,

That was the leanest Tri-tip I've seen yet. No wonder it was a tuffin".

When I do Tri-tip I pull it at 130 always. It's very rare but tender. I know a lot of people will not eat red/pink beef. I used to be that way until I had Tri-tip. I usually smoke mine for about 1.5 hours at 250 degrees or lower if I can get there. I recently tried grilling one indirect on the kettle, it was a disaster. The grill was too hot. Meat came off tough and dry. I will stick to smoking them from here on.
I think this is one of the better cuts of beef, not real fat and not too expensive. My biggest issue is getting pictures. I swear my son absorbs these things just by being near it. It's gone as soon as it's sliced. My wife is the same way.

My next endeavor will be getting a Santa Maria style grill for the kettle. I will probably get better results that way.

Bear, it is entirely possible someone mixed up your tri tip order with another one. I know Wild Fork offers a money back guarantee if you send back the meat. Too late for that. You could send a nice email with a link to this thread. They might offer you a discount on your next order.

Just a thought

Ray

That email would be the best idea, but I looked at all the pics.
Mrs Bear took the pics, as she is taking over a lot of things I always did, and she didn't take any good ones of the Bark to Bark red/pink meat. I always did that, and captioned it "Lets take a look inside". So without that, I have no way of showing it wasn't overdone.
I might not be getting any more from them a anyway, as my daily calories the last couple weeks is down to between 800 to 1400 per day.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
Bear,

When I do Tri-tip I pull it at 130 always. It's very rare but tender. I know a lot of people will not eat red/pink beef. I used to be that way until I had Tri-tip. I usually smoke mine for about 1.5 hours at 250 degrees or lower if I can get there. I recently tried grilling one indirect on the kettle, it was a disaster. The grill was too hot. Meat came off tough and dry. I will stick to smoking them from here on.
I think this is one of the better cuts of beef, not real fat and not too expensive. My biggest issue is getting pictures. I swear my son absorbs these things just by being near it. It's gone as soon as it's sliced. My wife is the same way.

My next endeavor will be getting a Santa Maria style grill for the kettle. I will probably get better results that way.

I'm sure you're right. I always wanted to try a Tri Tip when I could still smoke one. Now that I got rid of my Smokers, I get the chance to get Tri Tips, but it wouldn't do me any good to have the smokers. I got enough trouble getting to the kitchen & back a couple times.

Bear

Bear,

you smoke it straight through to 130? any reverse sear after? Going to see if the butcher has TT in the case and do it this Sunday.

Reactions: MJB05615
I'm sure you're right. I always wanted to try a Tri Tip when I could still smoke one. Now that I got rid of my Smokers, I get the chance to get Tri Tips, but it wouldn't do me any good to have the smokers. I got enough trouble getting to the kitchen & back a couple times.
Bear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking a rubbed tri tip in the oven at 350°F for 45-60 minutes to get a 120-125°F IT. There are days I don't have the time to fire up the Kettle, and I've got a trimmed, dry rubbed TT in the fridge. I put it in a quarter sheet pan with the meat on a grate. Slice it up and eat like steak.

I've found that searing first in a skillet for 7-8 minutes a side adds a little carmelization flavor, but not a huge amount. It does cut the roasting time down a bit, but one more dish to wash.

Select Grade TTs are about all I find these days at my grocer, but they are always tender and flavorful. Untrimmed TTs were on sale last week for $3.98/lb, but my freezers were full or I'd have picked up 4-6 more.

Reactions: bakerman
you smoke it straight through to 130? any reverse sear after? Going to see if the butcher has TT in the case and do it this Sunday.
Yessir. I don't reverse sear. It looks uncooked almost when it hits 130. But thats the way I roll.

And Bear I knew you were done with smoking, I just posted what I do. Sous Vide is not in my playbook right now. Maybe when I am cooking for just myself and my wife, but now I have 6 mouths to feed and I cannot afford another kitchen appliance. I have looked at the Sous Vide, but I have to pass for now. Glad it works for you though.

Reactions: clifish
Bear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking a rubbed tri tip in the oven at 350°F for 45-60 minutes to get a 120-125°F IT. There are days I don't have the time to fire up the Kettle, and I've got a trimmed, dry rubbed TT in the fridge. I put it in a quarter sheet pan with the meat on a grate. Slice it up and eat like steak.

I've found that searing first in a skillet for 7-8 minutes a side adds a little carmelization flavor, but not a huge amount. It does cut the roasting time down a bit, but one more dish to wash.

Select Grade TTs are about all I find these days at my grocer, but they are always tender and flavorful. Untrimmed TTs were on sale last week for $3.98/lb, but my freezers were full or I'd have picked up 4-6 more.

Thank You Ray!!
I can do that with my Ninja, too.
It's not the tool you use that gets it done right.
I just got to get a better look at it next time, and if it doesn't have much marbling, go for a lower finished IT
Our favorite temp for Prime Rib is about 142°, but I think a lean Tri Tip would be better for us at about 130°-135° IT.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
Hey Bear this a TT I just bought today from a local butcher...They were $7.99/lb 2 weeks ago but went to $10.99 yesterday...will let you know how it was.
tt.jpg

Hey Bear this a TT I just bought today from a local butcher...They were $7.99/lb 2 weeks ago but went to $10.99 yesterday...will let you know how it was.
View attachment 645550

That looks pretty lean too, but I guess about 135° IT should take care of it. Not quite as lean as mine was, but close.
Thanks for showing!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky