Tri-tip tacos 2.0 (keto-ish)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
This version is (dirty) keto friendly.

Well the first round wasn't tri tip it turns out so this time I made sure to hit Publix and get a real one.

Marinade: 4 rehydrated guajillo peppers, 2 Oz cider vinegar, juice of one lime, 4 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, chili water from the steeping. Blend in ninja, pour on, let sit overnight. Reserve some for the finish in the pan.

I grilled this one over cherry chunks, it was done in 45 minutes or so. I let it go a bit longer but it didn't matter since I was dicing it for the finish.

Once rested I diced it, poured the juices along with the reserved marinade over the meat. Got a pan screaming hot and seared it off. The crunchy bits on the outside make it. Low carb tortillas and a squeeze of lime if desired. Topped with cilantro and a very small amount of chopped onion.

Mexican street cauliflower:
While this was all going on I chopped a head of cauliflower, sprayed with evoo and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and chili powder. 45 minutes at 400 degrees. For the dressing I mixed a few tbs of mayo, and 2 tbs of sour cream together with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Juiced and zested 1 lime. Mix it all up, top with cilantro, cotija and pickled jalapeños. Don't skip the jalapeños. This was a total hit and it will be made every taco night from now on.

All in all, it was a hit and there isn't much left.

Attachments

• 20220614_202701.jpg
    20220614_202701.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220614_202307.jpg
    20220614_202307.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220614_201520.jpg
    20220614_201520.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220614_195512.jpg
    20220614_195512.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220614_191734.jpg
    20220614_191734.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 31
Love TT and tacos and those look great !
Thanks for sharing your recipe and congrats on the ride !

Keith

Reactions: Ringer
Nice! Killer meal! Kind of like an abreviated Birria😃 Awesome cook, great recipe to share! Well deserved ride!

Nice! Killer meal! Kind of like an abreviated Birria😃 Awesome cook, great recipe to share! Well deserved ride!
Thanks Jed, that's exactly what this is! This was my first time using dried Chile and it won't be my last. I didn't know what ride you guys were talking about because I'm on mobile but now I see it hit the carousel. Thanks for the like and kind words.

Reactions: bauchjw
Thanks Jed, that's exactly what this is! This was my first time using dried Chile and it won't be my last. I didn't know what ride you guys were talking about because I'm on mobile but now I see it hit the carousel. Thanks for the like and kind words.
Yes, They’re incredible! Very creative adjustment to the traditional recipe. You got me inspired!

Looks great and keto in my book. The “new keto” gurus seem to get pretty extreme on what’s keto friendly. When keto started it was simply low enough carbs to stay in ketosis. That’s what it still is in my book.

Reactions: xray and Ringer
Looks great and keto in my book. The “new keto” gurus seem to get pretty extreme on what’s keto friendly. When keto started it was simply low enough carbs to stay in ketosis. That’s what it still is in my book.
Thanks for the like and yes I'm on the same page with ya. If one is staying in ketosis then the diet is working. That carb number is different for everyone. We do the keto versions of bread and tortillas every now and then, some berries from time to time. I miss pie though...lol

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks for the like and yes I'm on the same page with ya. If one is staying in ketosis then the diet is working. That carb number is different for everyone. We do the keto versions of bread and tortillas every now and then, some berries from time to time. I miss pie though...lol
What kind of pie?

Those tacos look fantastic Ringer! Keto or not, I’d destroy a few!

The Mexican street cauliflower sounds really good too, that’s something I’ll have to try someday. I usually use frozen corn for a quick esquites but I’m glad to see there’s a nice substitute for those who can’t do corn.

Nice job on that TT Ringer. It looks and sounds fabulous. I manged to find one at our local grocer the other day. It's going on the kettle this evening.

Point for sure
Chris

Man that looks good....really good. I have some TT left from the weekend and I might just have to do some tacos this evening :emoji_wink:

Robert

Those tacos look fantastic Ringer! Keto or not, I’d destroy a few!

The Mexican street cauliflower sounds really good too, that’s something I’ll have to try someday. I usually use frozen corn for a quick esquites but I’m glad to see there’s a nice substitute for those who can’t do corn.
Thanks! The cauliflower is a great sub for corn. The secret is roasting it until it has some color or char. Give it a try.

Man that looks good....really good. I have some TT left from the weekend and I might just have to do some tacos this evening :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert, give it a try. It makes some pretty dang good tacos. Don't forget the lime!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky