Tri-tip Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
It has been a while since I made any jerky. I had a Tri-tip sitting in the fridge and decided to put it to use.

2023_march_jerky_001.jpg

I marinated it with an onion, Soy Sauce, garlic salt, Wine and Kinder's - The Blend

2023_march_jerky_002.jpg

I smoked it with hickory pellets at 165

2023_march_jerky_003.jpg

Four hours later

2023_march_jerky_004.jpg

Good old beef jerky

2023_march_jerky_005.jpg

Looks and sounds great Chris. I wish TT were more available around here.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great!

People always say you should use perfectly lean meat for jerky, but tri-tip is pretty well marbled (and yours looks so to me).
Does it keep okay?
I secretly tend to like the little fatty bits on my jerky, but figured if the was more maybe it would be too much?
Interested in your thoughts.

Looks great!

People always say you should use perfectly lean meat for jerky, but tri-tip is pretty well marbled (and yours looks so to me).
Does it keep okay?
I secretly tend to like the little fatty bits on my jerky, but figured if the was more maybe it would be too much?
Interested in your thoughts.

If I was picking the tri-tip out for jerky I would have picked one with less marbling. The bite on this jerky was just right, the fat did not effect the chewyness or flavor.

Now that I have had a few pieces it did come out a little too bit on the salty side. I usually use worchestire sauce instead of soy sauce but we were out of it.

As far as keeping it usually last about two weeks. Anything left after that it tends to get moldy. It would probably keep better refrigerated or if kept with dry packs.

If I was picking the tri-tip out for jerky I would have picked one with less marbling. The bite on this jerky was just right, the fat did not effect the chewyness or flavor.

Now that I have had a few pieces it did come out a little too bit on the salty side. I usually use worchestire sauce instead of soy sauce but we were out of it.

As far as keeping it usually last about two weeks. Anything left after that it tends to get moldy. It would probably keep better refrigerated or if kept with dry packs.
Thanks for the info!
Usually jerky is lucky to last 3 days here, but sometimes I like to make batches to store for road trips. I'm going to try a fattier cut for the quick eating stuff.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky