Tri Tip for Bresaola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnyd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
New Zealand
So what do people think, would tri tip make a suitable Bresaola? I've never made it before but keen to give it a shot?

Sounds good,

Bring on the Qview 
biggrin.gif

Round is traditionally used.  Tri tip is a little more marbelled, so I don't know how that would affect the process?  Also, I would note that round would be much cheaper.

Good luck and good smoking.

LOLLOL

Well I just defrosted my tri tip and guess what........ its ox heart!

short story long..... we had a 1/2 beast done and the meat was all packaged and frozen, I found two cuts of meat i wasnt familiar with and after reading about tri tip on here I thought thats what this must be. ( and thought I must have an up beat butcher as its not a well known cut here)

So once it was defrosted and I could open it up I knew for sure what it was, I have never bothered with heart before and so decided oh what the hey anyways and have proceeded to remove fat and stuff from it and I will see what it turns out like anyways!

Its a good lean muscle meat at least!!
biggrin.gif

Round is traditionally used.  Tri tip is a little more marbelled, so I don't know how that would affect the process?  Also, I would note that round would be much cheaper.

Good luck and good smoking.
The meat is real cheap when done as a "home kill" beast weighed out at 500 lb so that was 250 a side and we paid $520 for the side, thats a little over $2 a lb. 

From the supermarket its about $5.50 lb for ground beef and $10 to 18 for top grades of steak, So buying it by the animal is a good economic way to go 

I think I'd be more excited about the heart than the tri-tip myself.  I saw some in a local shop, if my 8 year old girl wasn't with me making yucky sounds I would have bought it.  Would have to have prepared it when no one was looking!

I know this isn't in the spirit of smoking, or grilling, but I just saw this video by Chris Cosentino on beef heart tartare.  That may be a bit out there -- but I would be willing to give it a try.  Check it out....

http://www.offalgood.com/press/eat-...ail&utm_campaign=Feed:+offalgood+(Offal+Good)

So what did you do with the heart?

Bresaola or brisaola is air-dried, salted beef that has been aged two or three months until it becomes hard and turns a dark red, almost purple colour. It is made from top (inside) round, and is lean and tender, with a sweet, musty smell. It originated in Valtellina, a valley in the Alps of northern Italy's Lombardy region.

The word comes from the diminutive of Lombard bresada, "braised".  

PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
 not sure if want.....Almost purple lookn and a sweet musty smell.....

I think I'd be more excited about the heart than the tri-tip myself.  I saw some in a local shop, if my 8 year old girl wasn't with me making yucky sounds I would have bought it.  Would have to have prepared it when no one was looking!

I know this isn't in the spirit of smoking, or grilling, but I just saw this video by Chris Cosentino on beef heart tartare.  That may be a bit out there -- but I would be willing to give it a try.  Check it out....

http://www.offalgood.com/press/eat-...ail&utm_campaign=Feed:+offalgood+(Offal+Good)

So what did you do with the heart?
I treated it like top round and its sitting in the fridge for the 1st of 7 days dry cure, remove and add 2nd half of seasoning return to fridge for 7 days then air dry untill........ I reckon it will only need 2 weeks or 3 of air dry as it is about an inch thick right across.

I opened out the 1/2 heart and removed all tendons and fat, so it sits flat like a big 3 lb steak.

We have premium curing conditions at present as its winter here......... 55 to 70 F in my garage and RH of 55% to 70%

So watch this post in about a months time!

Tri Tip is ImHO not the right meat. I make usually out of the Faux Filet. Curing it with KNO3 and special spices dry for a week and another 3 weeks in a curing solution with red wine and curing salt. Then air drying @ 12 degrees and 85 % rH for at least three months. I was in Valtellina last year, talking to some producers there. I have always some in my fridge.
If you need the exact receipe, just pm me.

Cheers from Germany

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky