Tri Tip first cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
First I would like to thank all the forum members who responded with advice on how to cook the tri tip it was very helpful.

That said, on to the report!

These tri tips had quite a bit of fat on them so I gave them a quick trim to expose the meat.

I forgot that I had a container of Harry Soo's Moolah Beef Rub so I used that on the tri tip. I put a generous amount of rub on both sides of the meat and let the meat sit in the fridge for about 4 hours. Added a light sprinkle of rub on top side just before putting in smoker.

Smoked at 225 with oak/cherry/hickory blend pellets until IT of 122

Pulled from smoker and right on to hot grill for a quick sear.

20191117_074045_resized.jpg
20191117_074803_resized.jpg
20191117_142847_resized.jpg
20191117_143228_resized.jpg
20191117_144017_resized.jpg
20191117_144117_resized.jpg

Yummy and delicious... The best part is I have 8 more left!!! :emoji_sunglasses:

Also, Harry Soo's Moolah Beef rub gave the tri tips a fantastic flavor. Will surely be using that rub again.

JC :emoji_cat:

Those tri's look great, I'd be all over that! Amazing how much fat gets trimmed off a tritip that hasn't been touched with a knife until it gets home. Like. RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks great to me! Haven't seen a good deal on tri-tip around here since last year :( What are your plans for the others?
Nice cook there JC what sides did you do with them?

Warren

Not sure what I am going to be doing with the others. Maybe some carne asada tacos. I am going to use some of that for sausage. A nice amount of fat and connective tissue that would work well for beef inputs for sausage.

I had planned on having Brussels sprouts with them but ended up making a sandwich with chips due to timing issues.

I think I paid $3.69 per pound for these. Not a bad price for how well these tri tips taste. I was pleasantly surprised.

JC

For the amount of flavor those tri tips packed for the price, you may be right. That was every bit as good as a ribeye. :emoji_cat: :emoji_cat:

That's the great thing about TTs.
You can prep them just about any way you desire from fancy marinades to simple rubs and still have the beefy flavor shine through.

That's basically an extinct species around here. Where's PETA when you need them.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Looks great! Did you end up getting them from GFS? I made two into steaks on Sunday, they're fantastic cuts!

Yes I got then from GFS. It was the only way I could get them. I had to buy a case. There are 20 per case. I was glad that forum member TomKnoll was able to split the case with me.

JC

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky