Tri-Tip Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I had a few things I wanted to try out and chose a three pound tri-tip for my trial.

First, I am changing my approach. With flavorful cuts of meat, I have decided to try a minimal approach; just a light application of rub.

Second, since I have been having trouble with my tray using hickory, I switched to a tube. Since I am using a propane smoker, this has been reported to be a better choice.

Third, I am trying the water pan for the first time. For the heck of it, I had a bottle of red wine that had aged a bit too long and was more like port. Rather than dump it, I put it in the pan. Why not?

In the past I applied a light coat of Worcestershire sauce, then a good coating of rub. It tastes great, but this time I wanted to just use a light coating of Hardcore Black. The meat has such a nice flavor, I didn’t want to overpower it.

The smoker tube worked great with the AMAZEN hickory pellets. It provided a nice even blue smoke.

I salted the roast and let it set overnight. In the morning, I rinsed it and lightly applied the rub. I placed it back in the fridge for four hours uncovered. The smoker was warmed up and set to 250. I let it smoke to 140 IT, pulled it, wrapped it, and let it rest for ten minutes. The grill was already running full blast and I seared it for about a minute on each side.

It came out great and I can taste just a hint of wine. It came out very juicy. I was shooting for a medium cook as that is the preference of Mrs. Smoke.

If you guys keep it up, you are actually going to teach me how to smoke!

5483C1B7-1C44-4AD9-980C-614B5D002B6E.jpeg
2A05F92C-C422-4BCD-BE25-F454D78287E5.jpeg

Looking good! Been a minute since I've done a TT....Might have to swing by the butcher soon.
Jim

Looking great, OldSmoke. I would sure give that one a try.

A Piedmontese TriTip is my menu later today.

You got my curiosity up so I found their website. It looks very tempting. How do you cook your tri-tip?

You got my curiosity up so I found their website. It looks very tempting. How do you cook your tri-tip?

Nothing spectacular. Just some dry brine with pepper, garlic, paprika, salt & rosemary. Will go on the Weber Smokey Mountain here in a few minutes. Have a Piedmontese tritip versus angus. Tx Smoker perked my interest on Piedmontese beef. The plan is to smoke at 225F. We will see how it goes. The WSM is relatively new to me and never used it when it is 30F outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky