Travel with cooked tri tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

k2guy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Chino Hills, CA
Smoked my first tri tip last week and it came out wonderful. Would like to do another one next week and take it to my daughter's house. Problem is she is two hours away. When I smoked the tri tip last week, I took it up to 144 degrees IT. My question is, can I smoke my tri tip to like 135, wrap it in foil, then towels, then put it in a cooler....will it eventually hit 140-145 on it's own? Or will we have to cook it further when we arrive? Last question....is it safe, temperature wise to transport the meat this way? Or should I smoke it the day before, refrigerate it, then warm it upon arrival?

You'll be fine with Plan A. It will stay nice & hot for a few hours if wrapped well, toweled and stuck in the cooler. I doubt you will have to re-cook it all. Tri-tips are best at the rarer end of medium rare IMO. Hopefully the gals are squeamish at a little pink meat.....have fun.....Willie

Thanks Willie.  I think I'll take it to 140 and wrap it.  Should end up medium rare to medium and hopefully won't go past that stage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky