1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Traeger Quality Control - going downhill?

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by Colorado3G, Feb 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Colorado3G

Colorado3G Newbie

I'm a newbie here, used to be over on Pelletheads and I've owned a Traeger Texas for 8+ years and upgraded after a house move to a new Pro 34. So far that was a huge mistake! Has Traeger quality gone downhill? Wonder what new owners are experiencing?

My new grill takes twice as long to cook anything than the Texas did and I average 30-40d temp swings. Chicken Breast on 350 takes 80-90 minutes (50-60d outside). I've already replaced the temp probe and controller under warranty with no change (dealer). I then contacted Traeger direct and they didn't even read my email - just sent me their standard check this and that (like they didn't even care) which had nothing to do with the problem. After a nasty email - they have now sent me an entire new burner assembly and full box unit - guess what.....that arrived broken with the Auger motor off and broken cotter pin.....shipping box was in perfect condition....so just really bad quality control.....it's like they just don't care!

Although I saw they have a brand new model at my dealer (which isn't even on the Traeger website yet or announced) - I'm wondering if I should just try to get a refund for this piece of junk or try to get them to swap out for the new grill (maybe it's better). I doubt they will....just wondering if others have experienced bad QC.

2. Colorado3G

Colorado3G Newbie

Just posting an update as Traeger continues to be providing horrible service. They even told me they were elevating my issue and would contact me in 24-48 hours.....it's now been over 7 days.....idiots! My dealer is awesome and he has taken the grill back and we'll work something out. Maybe this is the reason they have discontinued the Pro 34 and have the new grill coming out which has a completely different and new auger system and controller. They are announcing it on the 15th - but he already has them in stock!

3. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

Sounds like a company that clearly doesn't want your business. There's lots of those out there.

4. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Conventional wisdom is that they' been going "down hill" for quite a while now. I almost bought a Traeger last year but was talked out of it by none other than a sales associate at the store. In fact, he not only talked me into buying a different brand but to get it from a different distributor for much cheaper. Not sure if he still works there or not.

5. I'm still learning the pellet grill process personally, but mechanically speaking, my pro22 has been flawless. If I had to do over, I would have maybe gone with the Camp Chef and sear box. Maybe.
    Once the weather gets nice, I plan to really put some miles on my Traeger. I tend to be fairly easy on equipment, so I plan on having a trouble free summer. Time will tell, I have eaten crow a few times in my life. lol

6. Thebutscher

Thebutscher Newbie

I have a year-old Select Elite (the one that looks like a gas grill) and quickly upgraded it from 'elite' to 'pro' by swapping the controller and adding the second shelf - also added GrillGrates for searing. It has performed flawlessly. Heats up fast and holds temps within 5 degrees. The GrillGrates are awesome. Covers 1/2 my main grill surface when I use them, get as good a sear as the CC grill box, but about 1/3 the price.