TRAEGER GRILLS!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought a Traeger last year when Home Depot was blowing them out. I ended up having issues with the flame going out and the pot overfilling if I was trying to run it lower than 250 for any decent length of time. They provided me a Pro Controller for free under warranty and it's worked great for the last two cooks running at 225. I was ready to dump it on Craigslist. Right now I'm content. If it starts giving me problems again, I'm just buying a Weber SmokeFire.

I bought a Traeger last year when Home Depot was blowing them out. I ended up having issues with the flame going out and the pot overfilling if I was trying to run it lower than 250 for any decent length of time. They provided me a Pro Controller for free under warranty and it's worked great for the last two cooks running at 225. I was ready to dump it on Craigslist. Right now I'm content. If it starts giving me problems again, I'm just buying a Weber SmokeFire.
Give Rec Tec a look also I would suggest. Traeger is the company that got me looking into pellets grills and through lots of research, somehow I found Rec Tec and almost a year later, I couldn't be happier.

The Weber SmokeFire does look very interesting and I will be watching when people get them and start using a lot. I've always been a Weber fan and cooked on a gensis gasser for years.

Give Rec Tec a look also I would suggest. Traeger is the company that got me looking into pellets grills and through lots of research, somehow I found Rec Tec and almost a year later, I couldn't be happier.

The Weber SmokeFire does look very interesting and I will be watching when people get them and start using a lot. I've always been a Weber fan and cooked on a gensis gasser for years.

The Rec Tecs are nice, but I was set on a Yoder YS640 until I saw what the Weber could do for the price.

I bought the Traeger Silverton from Costco. Made some ribs that were really good and the next day a chicken. Everything went smoothly until i removed the chicken and cranked the temperature from 225 to high to cook some vegetables. The temperature started to rise and within a few minutes it started to smoke way more than normal. I opened the lid and the back of the grill shot up flames about 8 ft in the air ultimately damaging the grill. A call to customer service revealed that you should only raise the temperature gradually to prevent flare ups. This was not outlined in the manual and they want to replace parts that are not damaged but refuse to replace the damaged fire box. Not to mention you have to constantly call customer service as they never follow-up. Its going back for a refund and will shop for a new smoker. Very disappointing experience that could have ended badly for the lack of warnings or a defective product. Hope this helps someone.

The Rec Tecs are nice, but I was set on a Yoder YS640 until I saw what the Weber could do for the price.
I would just wait to see how some "real" "real" use is with the Weber. I've watched the videos from the BBQ guys that got to do a test run and it looks impressive but remember this is with a brand new grill. Personally, I'd want to wait 6 months to a year.

My concern I would have is cooking brisket and pork butts and anything long, low and slow and fatty. That is a TON of grease that comes off those and I wonder how their system will hold up and how clean up will be. If you are just mostly going to use for grilling, then I won't see any issues. I know they say they have a system but I've done like 4 briskets at a time on my Rec Tec Bull and I filled up a full bucket and almost another half.....just saying but good luck!

Reactions: negolien
Interesting thread from a few years back. I'm not a pellet guy tho I was tossing around the possibility of getting one about a year back, so I signed up on the Traeger forum to see how things were. It didn't take but a couple of days to have me steer clear of those things, constant problems from a multitude of people. If I was going to buy a pellet grill, which I most likely will not, I'd be leaning towards the RecTec brand. A lot of guys on this forum use them with great success and I seldom if ever hear of problems about the workmanship of the units. RAY

interesting read.

Rec Tec Bull Owner here for about 1.5 years. it works perfectly every time regardless of the weather and pellet brand. When I had questions, they were right there to help. one of the most satisfying purchases i even made.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky