Traeger 075 Grill Thermal Survey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the pup

Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
I got bored while BBQ'n some chuckies...so here's a "thermal survey" of my Traeger 075 grill (a surprise gift from my wife...especially so when considering that I have an FEC100):

Temp probes (I bought 30-each for $20 and found 12 that were within <2% tollerance):

Note: T-6 is in in the middle, over the burner box.

On average, the rank order from the coldest-to-the-hotest grill spots:

Thermal survey at variying temperatures:

The raw data graph:

...and the dome temp graph:

Conclusion, the grill is hotter toward the rear and more so to the rear right.

...I know, where's the qview?

You clearly have too much time on your hands! LOL

Thanks for sharing. Left back is always hottest on mine due to the ramp and door.

Retired...and getting hungry!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for sharing you data on your pellet pooper. I have suspected that was the hottest place on mine too but never tested it. I don't understand really why that spot is hottest though. (close to the exhaust and farthest from the door?)

...in the end, I do not think that the cheap meat really cares too much about inconsequential thermal variances:

Awesome test! You confirmed what I have been suspecting with my Traeger for quite awhile. The back right seems to be the hottest as well. I thought it was because my heat deflector that sets right above the fire pot is a little warped and sort of deflects the heat that way ever so slightly, but it sounds like its the same way with all of them. Thanks for posting your results!

Man those chuckies look great too. You are starting to get time on your hands for sure. Now I don't know what to think about that thermo meter farm you have going on there but the chucks look yummo.

...at $0.70 each, the thermometer cost was minimal to empirically observe what I already knew.
icon_redface.gif

icon_smile.gif

I don't have a Traeger, so is that a drip pan or a baffle? If it's a baffle could you slot it to allow more even heat distribution? Just curious.

Charlie

It is a drip pan.

In the end, I do not think anything has to be done (it makes good BBQ).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky