TQ is REALLY hard to find in PDX!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Recently was looking for TQ as well, here in ny i went to Walmarts Superstore and they didn't have it, so i went on the Mortons website and looked up stores in my area, Wegmans- a large groc. store carried it, i called them ahead of time as another Wegmans that i stopped at didn't have it, it was under $4/ bag, just my .02 

No, not even close. TQ is nothing like Cure#1  TQ contains much less Nitrate than cure#1 plus it also contains Sodium Nitrite, but at different concentrations than Cure#2. 

TQ is not interchangeable with either of the other cures. Either cure is very simple to use if you follow the directions provided, but you cannot use one instead of the other.

If they do not carry TQ, they should carry pink salt.

Pink salt, Prague Powder # 1, Insta-Cure, Modern Cure are all the same thing....sodium nitrate in a 6.25% concentration.  It is the key ingredient in TQ and most any other cure mixture out there.  TQ is mainly sugar and sodium nitrate if I remember correctly.  It is colored pink so it will not be confused for normal salt.  A little goes a long way, 4 ounces can cure 100 pounds of meat.  If you cannot find TQ you can get some pink salt and find a clone recipe for TQ on the internet to make your own cure.

I couldn't find it down here either.  I ordered directly from Morton, but they are making a killing on shipiping.  There sausage seasoning is really good too, so I went ahead and stocked up since I was going to have to shell out for for the freight anyway.

I am with Scarbelly.  Can't find it in central CA either.  I guess the professionals here must all make fresh sausages.

Not sure where in central CA you are but I get mine here   You won't see it listed on the web site but they do carry it. Like Smoke Dawg suggests check any surrounding butchers/meat processors they usually carry it.

Last edited:
Interested in a trade? I can get it here for around 6 bucks a bag so I could toss it in a flat-rate box and trade it for a box of wood or something..

I never did say you could use TQ and pink salt as if they were the same.   I said that if you cannot find TQ, that you probably should be able to find pink salt and then look for a recipe to make a clone of TQ. 

Four ounces of pink salt can cure 100 pounds of meat.  It would take more than a  pound of TQ to do the same thing. 

Here is a link that explains the ratios much better than I ever could:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

I used TQ at first, but it is cheaper to get the pink salt and make your own cure mix.

No, not even close. TQ is nothing like Cure#1  TQ contains much less Nitrate than cure#1 plus it also contains Sodium Nitrite, but at different concentrations than Cure#2. 

TQ is not interchangeable with either of the other cures. Either cure is very simple to use if you follow the directions provided, but you cannot use one instead of the other.

If they do not carry TQ, they should carry pink salt.

Pink salt, Prague Powder # 1, Insta-Cure, Modern Cure are all the same thing....sodium nitrate in a 6.25% concentration.  It is the key ingredient in TQ and most any other cure mixture out there.  TQ is mainly sugar and sodium nitrate if I remember correctly.  It is colored pink so it will not be confused for normal salt.  A little goes a long way, 4 ounces can cure 100 pounds of meat.  If you cannot find TQ you can get some pink salt and find a clone recipe for TQ on the internet to make your own cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky