TQ is REALLY hard to find in PDX!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle kenny

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 20, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
I am surprised at not finding a single source after a week of looking/calling/internet searching. I finally ordered some from Morton, but the shipping is more that two bags of TQ! I get around Portland a lot; anybody here have a source? Thanks. UK

We can not find it in CA either - it is online for us too

It's all over up here, so feel free to PM me if you get desperate.  The going rate here is about $5 for a 2# bag, and two of those bags should fit in a small Priority Mail Flat Rate box, so shipping would be another $5.

Try asking your local butcher or some of the smaller independent stores in the outlying areas. Maybe even whole foods in PDX

My wife said that Fred Meyer carries it

Last edited:
I've asked a couple of Fred Meyer managers about TQ. They say they used to carry it but no more. They do carry the smoke flavor sugar cure, but I found that stuff to be horrible and threw it away!

I've asked a couple of Fred Meyer managers about TQ. They say they used to carry it but no more. They do carry the smoke flavor sugar cure, but I found that stuff to be horrible and threw it away!

I'm going to have to call B.S. on those store managers.  Our Freddies in Bellingham (2), the one in Mt Vernon and I'm sure others in this neck of the woods carry it year round.  Of course, now that they're associated with Kroger's, maybe they changed your districts food list.  The next best search point is the major food chains.  Haggens, AKA Top Food carries it, Safeway and on and on, unless there's some special restriction for areas south of here.  I guess it's like the shortage of a certain item in the Denver area when I was visiting last August.  Wanted to make up some SoFlaQuer South Carolina Mustard Sauce and one key ingredient is Red Wine Vinegar.  Since I was making a couple gallons, I of course was looking for gallon jugs of this particular vinegar.  Not a snow ball's chance.  Just those itsey, bitsey 12 oz bottles.  Yet, they're readily available here in Washington in gallon jugs.  Go figure.

Last edited:
here in erie we have it in dang near every store.My local mom and pop store has it year round.As a matter of fact i was in there the other day and bought a 12# pork butt for snacksticks and saw they had bout 10-12 bags of it.I guess we're lucky here.If you need to email me and we can work something out to send ya some.

Have you tried Northwest Butcher Supply out in Clackamas?

If they do not carry TQ, they should carry pink salt.

Fred Meyer in Alaska carries TQ as do some of the sporting goods and butcher supply shops.

Last edited:
Called Cash and Carry they have in in Aloha OR  170th and TV Hwy.  for $3.48 for a 2lb. bag.  Good Luck.

I think I saw it at freddys also I will look tonight.That said were can we find a good supply of sausage casings here in PDX

Thanks, bilder. I didn't know about NW butcher supply. I'm new in town, so any other links to good local suppliers are appreciated!

If they do not carry TQ, they should carry pink salt.

Pink salt, Prague Powder # 1, Insta-Cure, Modern Cure are all the same thing....sodium nitrate in a 6.25% concentration.  It is the key ingredient in TQ and most any other cure mixture out there.  TQ is mainly sugar and sodium nitrate if I remember correctly.  It is colored pink so it will not be confused for normal salt.  A little goes a long way, 4 ounces can cure 100 pounds of meat.  If you cannot find TQ you can get some pink salt and find a clone recipe for TQ on the internet to make your own cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky