!@%$? -> total loss pork belly?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mellowj

Original poster
May 8, 2023
I smoked a beautiful pb about 4hrs @220, then wrapped with ac vinegar, a little liquid smoke and more seasoning for another 2 @180.
Put it in the oven to soak up the juices, relax and cool.

I forgot it there, overnight, cold oven. Total loss?

Attachments

• 20230508_060624.jpg
    20230508_060624.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 17
Did you happen to get a temp this morning? Was it still warm/hot? What time did you put it in the oven to rest?

tp

I forgot it there, overnight, cold oven. Total loss?
Uncured meat not getting to temp and incubating is one thing. especially sausage cased meat. Cooling perfectly cooked meat and is in the danger zone for a prolonged period of time is another. All bacteria spoilage and foodbourne pathogens are dead. The three foodbourne pathogen spores are waiting for the perfect environment of being anaerobic, the right temp, PH, time and water activity has changed from raw to start growing and producing their toxin. They haven't had the time. Heat it above 140 IT and eat it or fry it and any pathogen and toxin produced, if possible will be denatured since botulism toxin is a protein and denatures so 176 for 15 min or 185 for five min. Make country uncured bacon fried in a pan. Nothing had the chance to start growing spoilage yeast, molds and fungus that are falling on food constantly. Also, go back to the food safety form and read the five or so pinned threads. You got to temp and cooled. Most have issues that their smoker didn't and if their food was incubated raw. I'd be eating it. Oh, and Acv, regular and liquid smoke and other seasonings like sugar and salt and alcohol that are preservatives before refrigeration. Eat it! After all it was only overnight and bacteria just didn't have the time and ability to over come your cooking and added preservatives with intact meat when you put it in the cold oven to rest.

Last edited:
If the internal temp got over 140F, you killed anything in the meat (most likely pathway for food poisoning.) It was wrapped up inside your kitchen oven, keeping out most bacteria. I'd tend to think it's fine. If it looks and smells fine, go for it. But if anything seems off in smell or looks, don't risk it.

Reactions: daveomak and dr k
Some join and ask a safety ?
At times it feels like a " test " . I usually stay away from just joined questions like this , but you were trying to help and know what you're talking about .

Reactions: dr k
He has not been back since yesterday. Maybe he ate the pork and....:emoji_laughing:

Uncured meat not getting to temp and incubating is one thing. especially sausage cased meat. Cooling perfectly cooked meat and is in the danger zone for a prolonged period of time is another. All bacteria spoilage and foodbourne pathogens are dead. The three foodbourne pathogen spores are waiting for the perfect environment of being anaerobic, the right temp, PH, time and water activity has changed from raw to start growing and producing their toxin. They haven't had the time. Heat it above 140 IT and eat it or fry it and any pathogen and toxin produced, if possible will be denatured since botulism toxin is a protein and denatures so 176 for 15 min or 185 for five min. Make country uncured bacon fried in a pan. Nothing had the chance to start growing spoilage yeast, molds and fungus that are falling on food constantly. Also, go back to the food safety form and read the five or so pinned threads. You got to temp and cooled. Most have issues that their smoker didn't and if their food was incubated raw. I'd be eating it. Oh, and Acv, regular and liquid smoke and other seasonings like sugar and salt and alcohol that are preservatives before refrigeration. Eat it! After all it was only overnight and bacteria just didn't have the time and ability to over come your cooking and added preservatives with intact meat when you put it in the cold oven to rest.
Thank you! I could not wait another couple of hours so I did read the sticky by Jimmy. I closed the foil, decided nothing to lose but pellets. Got it to 350 for a couple of hours and now it is cooled in the fridge.

Reactions: dr k
If the internal temp got over 140F, you killed anything in the meat (most likely pathway for food poisoning.) It was wrapped up inside your kitchen oven, keeping out most bacteria. I'd tend to think it's fine. If it looks and smells fine, go for it. But if anything seems off in smell or looks, don't risk it.
Thank you! I could not wait another couple of hours so I did read the sticky by Jimmy. I closed the foil, decided nothing to lose but pellets. Got it to 350 for a couple of hours and now it is cooled in the fridge.

Some join and ask a safety ? that is time sensitive and bail. I'll be more careful on flash posts. This isn't FB.
Bait n switch? No, but I know what you mean (former golf forum addict - rehabbed)

I veiw ovens in a similar way to coolers... insulated and sealed with the added advantage of being completely sterilized every time it's used. I credit this with never seeing mold, yeast or mildew in a regularly used oven. Regularly do 160 F timed oven cooks that turn off after a few hours for a finished brisket hold.

Reactions: bill1
I veiw ovens in a similar way to coolers... insulated and sealed with the added advantage of being completely sterilized every time it's used. I credit this with never seeing mold, yeast or mildew in a regularly used oven. Regularly do 160 F timed oven cooks that turn off after a few hours for a finished brisket hold.
Good point, hadn't seen that perspective before. I like it 👌🏽

Reactions: LOW_IN_SLO
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky