Tornados

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hope and pray it doesn't do a lot of damage and more importantly there is no loss of life. The weather sure has been crazy. Hopefully our members manage to not have any of these storms visit them

No such thing as crazy weather, weather has always been crazy, that's just a normal thing for weather.

The talk around the impact of climate change has trained people to think that any weather event is extreme or crazy. Media has played a large role in creating this.

Especially tornadoes. National Weather Service has said for years, that tornadoes were too small and isolated a weather event to connect with a change in climate. If there was an impact, it would maybe be something like Tornado Alley moving to another part of the country, which living in the center of Tornado Alley, I can say that's not happened.

About 10 years ago, we had three or four F4/F5 tornadoes within a couple years. It got everybody scared that the storms were getting stronger. It was being attributed to climate change. But we've not had an F4/F5 since 2013 ( knocking on wood ). These things are totally random and due to the variability of weather.

Media has also been scaring people by reporting " record " or " historic " numbers and strength of tornadoes. Well, tornado history is very short. Advances in radar technology, knowledge about these storms, TV weather people competing for ratings, along with tornado chasing becoming a popular sport and even a tourist event, means that every little spinup or touch down of a funnel gets counted.

Having lived in Tornado Alley for 70 years, I can tell you it was not like that 50 years ago or even 30 years ago. They did not get the attention then , that they do now. A tornado could occur and no one would know about it.

Couple that with an increase in population and development, and now a tornado is tearing through housing additions, when 40 years ago it was going through open unpopulated fields.

Agree with Smokin Okie Smokin Okie advances in tech and media has made it more easily tracked and unfortunately sensationalized. Sometimes to push an agenda. Still scary as hell to hear a train going by where there ain’t no train tracks!

Jim

No such thing as crazy weather, weather has always been crazy, that's just a normal thing for weather.

The talk around the impact of climate change has trained people to think that any weather event is extreme or crazy. Media has played a large role in creating this.

Especially tornadoes. National Weather Service has said for years, that tornadoes were too small and isolated a weather event to connect with a change in climate. If there was an impact, it would maybe be something like Tornado Alley moving to another part of the country, which living in the center of Tornado Alley, I can say that's not happened.

About 10 years ago, we had three or four F4/F5 tornadoes within a couple years. It got everybody scared that the storms were getting stronger. It was being attributed to climate change. But we've not had an F4/F5 since 2013 ( knocking on wood ). These things are totally random and due to the variability of weather.

Media has also been scaring people by reporting " record " or " historic " numbers and strength of tornadoes. Well, tornado history is very short. Advances in radar technology, knowledge about these storms, TV weather people competing for ratings, along with tornado chasing becoming a popular sport and even a tourist event, means that every little spinup or touch down of a funnel gets counted.

Having lived in Tornado Alley for 70 years, I can tell you it was not like that 50 years ago or even 30 years ago. They did not get the attention then , that they do now. A tornado could occur and no one would know about it.

Couple that with an increase in population and development, and now a tornado is tearing through housing additions, when 40 years ago it was going through open unpopulated fields.
I totally agree! Now weather patterns do shift and lucky for us we are going through a warmer period the last few hundred years! Which is way way better than it getting cooler/colder and a massive amount of the population dying off due to famine and starvation which leads to disease etc.
Im going to post a link of a podcast that goes over a lot of the truly extreme weather we have endured prior to 1950. There is some pretty scary stuff they go over and if some of them happened today, i assume most people would think ir is the end of the world armagedon stuff. It is really interesting if you have the time to listen to it all. Just do yourself a favor and dont start listening until the 14:45 mark. the first 15 minutes goes nowhere. Stay safe out there folks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I totally agree! Now weather patterns do shift and lucky for us we are going through a warmer period the last few hundred years! Which is way way better than it getting cooler/colder and a massive amount of the population dying off due to famine and starvation which leads to disease etc.
Im going to post a link of a podcast that goes over a lot of the truly extreme weather we have endured prior to 1950. There is some pretty scary stuff they go over and if some of them happened today, i assume most people would think ir is the end of the world armagedon stuff. It is really interesting if you have the time to listen to it all. Just do yourself a favor and dont start listening until the 14:45 mark. the first 15 minutes goes nowhere. Stay safe out there folks!

In western Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and southeast Kansas in the 1930's we had a Dust Bowl. It was due to almost a decade of drought. Many people packed up and left for California. It was mostly thought that the climate had permanently changed.

But the rains came again and farmers adapted their practices so another Dust Bowl would not happen if the drought came back.

If the 1930's type drought came again, it would be blamed on climate change.

Two tornadoes came close to me yesterday but no damage. Never even lost power for more than a few seconds. A lot of folks are going thru hell though.

Wind blew like hell here last night and most of the day ........ we're talking steady around 25mph with gusts double that, at least. No real damage other than my cable line got blown off the pole and laid across the road yet again. First time, it laid across the road for a week getting run over by cars, trucks, tractors, etc and I never lost service. Last time, a neighbor feeding cattle snagged and broke it hauling a roll of hay behind his tractor and snapped it in two. This time my friend snagged it with his pickup and broke it.

This has been the windiest winter I ever recall. Seems like we had high wind warnings almost weekly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky