Tornados

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wind blew like hell here last night and most of the day ........ we're talking steady around 25mph with gusts double that, at least.
I've been at Cherokee Lake, Tennessee fishing since Thursday. Thursday and Friday were perfect, yesterday it blew steady at 30 with gusts over 50. When we left to come home this morning, the lake was as smooth as glass...

Reactions: JLeonard
40 years ago we had nothing like this type of warning.

And the NWS has done great work with this kind of warning and probably saved a lot of lives. But along with that, its raised an awareness that creates more needless fear. Here in OKC, the city can almost completely shut down when the certainty of these events become clear. That would've been unheard of 40 years ago.

But looking at the graph below, death rates per million people have not fallen greatly in the last 40 years. The purple line on the graph is actual annual deaths. Leave it to the Fed govt to make a chart that's far more complicated than it needs to be. It seems there are no simple answers.

The purple points are the annual death rates, the red line is a simple smoother, the solid black line is a long-term trend in two sections (1875-1925, 1925-2000) and the cyan lines are estimates of the 10th percentile and 90th percentile from 1925-2000. Brooks and Doswell (2002) have an extensive discussion of the record and its possible implications.

ustordeath2012.png

Last edited:
This has been the windiest winter I ever recall. Seems like we had high wind warnings almost w

This has been the windiest winter I ever recall. Seems like we had high wind warnings almost weekly.
I agree, but it has also been really wet up here! Rained or occassionally snowed pretty much every week since october. The wind is the only thing that has kept things form being really really wet!

Breezy is one thing. 40~50+mph gusts is another. Been windy enough around here to blow the feathers off my chickens all winter.

This is starting to remind me of the spring of 2011. Constant tornado, and storm watches and warnings. It hailed so bad one time it looked a blizzard from Canada. I really don't want to go through that crap again. Unfortunately we've already had several deaths here in the SE, and April is just getting started.

It " feels " like a tornado day in OKC today. We've got temps going up to 80*, high humidity, strong south winds, with overcast skies. But there's nothing predicted here today.

However, the meteorologists here are predicting nighttime tornadoes in eastern Oklahoma tonight. And nighttime is the worst time.

• Wow
It " feels " like a tornado day in OKC today. We've got temps going up to 80*, high humidity, strong south winds, with overcast skies. But there's nothing predicted here today.

However, the meteorologists here are predicting nighttime tornadoes in eastern Oklahoma tonight. And nighttime is the worst time.
Yeah they are talking some rough weather here in Memphis area the next couple of days. Not as bad as what rolled through Friday night. But who knows?

Jim

A tornado a day doesn't keep the doctor away.

Weather patterns are very interesting and I was reading about them since La Nina has ended they say that El Nino may be coming which the weather we are seeing is a strong indicator of that happening.

If your interested the NWS has some great articles on it

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/ninonina.html

We had some very odd tornado tracks here in central Oklahoma Wednesday evening. The storms were moving almost due east, but the tornadoes tracked north. I can't recall seeing this before, tornados almost always track from SW to NE or sometimes due east.

Strongest was an F3 and they were not long track tornados. Weren't on the ground long.

We had some very odd tornado tracks here in central Oklahoma Wednesday evening. The storms were moving almost due east, but the tornadoes tracked north. I can't recall seeing this before, tornados almost always track from SW to NE or sometimes due east.

Strongest was an F3 and they were not long track tornados. Weren't on the ground long.

Weather is doing some odd stuff. I blame Al Gore.

Jim

Weather is doing some odd stuff. I blame Al Gore.

Jim

I've not heard an explanation from a credible source, but my guess is this supercell was very large and spinning, and it had enough momentum to pull the tornados it spawned, to the north. Same supercell put down all four of those tornados.

We had a storm do this last year, except the tornado made a complete circle.

We also had a large supercell on May 31, 2013, that looped around caught storm chasers off guard. Three of them died.

• Wow
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky