Tommy & the Farmer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
A young guy called Tommy bought a horse from a farmer for $250 and the farmer agreed to deliver the horse to Tommy the following day.
The next day though, the farmer turned up at Tommy’s house and said, “Sorry son, but I have some bad news, the horse died.”
Tommy replied, “Well, then just give me my money back. That’s fine.”
The farmer said, “Sorry, I can’t do that. I went and spent it already.”
Tommy then said, “Okay, then, just bring me the dead horse.”
The farmer was surprised and asked Tommy, “Why? What ya gonna do with him?”
Tommy replied, “I’m going to raffle him off.”
The farmer laughed and said, “You can’t raffle off a dead horse! Who’d buy a ticket?”
Tommy answered, “Sure I can, just watch me. I just won’t tell anybody the horse is dead.”
A month later, the farmer met up with Tommy again and asked, “What happened with that dead horse in the end. Did you raffle him off?”
Tommy said, “I sure did. I sold 500 tickets at $5 a piece.”
The farmer said, “Didn’t anyone complain?”
Tommy smiled and said, “Just the guy who won. So I gave him his $5 back.”

Kinda reminds me of the movie with Kirk Douglas in it.
Every time he'd run out of money in a saloon, he'd raffle off his "Glass Eye". Then he'd buy it back from the winner, with a sob story about how much he needs it.
Any body else remember that one??

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Kinda reminds me of the movie with Kirk Douglas in it.
Every time he'd run out of money in a saloon, he'd raffle off his "Glass Eye". Then he'd buy it back from the winner, with a sob story about how much he needs it.
Any body else remember that one??

Bear

I do.. I believe it was a John Wayne movie (Rio Bravo) and I don't believe it was Kirk Douglas as much as it was Dean Martin...

I do.. I believe it was a John Wayne movie (Rio Bravo) and I don't believe it was Kirk Douglas as much as it was Dean Martin...

Now that I think about it I think they each did it in different movies, but Dean Martin was definitely one of them. He did it in the movie, "The Sons of Katie Elder".
Kirk Douglas did it in the movie, "Cactus Jack".
Thanks for the reply, Keith!!

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky