Tomato Surprise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barkinbronco

Original poster
In the photo there is a rose bush in the planter at the far end.  Previously there were three other rose bushes in the planter but someone forgot to winter water and the dry Colorado climate killed them.  Since I built a shed where the garden used to be and there is no real good place to put a new one on my small lot I decided to try tomatoes in the rose bed.  I snaked a soaker hose around the stems and run it at a trickle for ~30 minutes per day.  The upside-down planter gets ~half gallon of water a day.  This planter gets a maximum of 4.5 hours of sun a day so I was concerned the full sun loving tomatoes would not thrive.  WRONG!  The one under the upside-down planter is a better girl and if I pull the leader up to full height it exceeds 7 feet!  I began harvesting daily a few days ago.  I have never had anything close to these kind of results in an open setting.  So I guess the moral of the story is sometimes unconventional spaces can yield some pretty good results.

Great, that is definitely something to chew on for folks that are limited to veggie garden space.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky