Tom Thumb/Dan Doodle sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Interesting. I've never heard of it...seems it is an east coast regional thing.

Reading the link, this raised my eyebrows though:
"It’s just a fresh sausage that they hang to cure and develop; in just a regular casing.”

I hope they used cure #1 in that sausage and it truly is not a fresh sausage that they hang....

Nahunta's pork center in Raleigh is 5 miles up the road from me. Been in there many times and never ran across it or even heard of it in these parts. Might be a seasonal thing... The pork center's base store is in Pikeville outside of Goldsboro NC and the store in Raleigh is and outlet store at the farmers market. When I get a chance I'll go check it out.

Interesting. I've never heard of it...seems it is an east coast regional thing.

Reading the link, this raised my eyebrows though:

I hope they used cure #1 in that sausage and it truly is not a fresh sausage that they hang....
If you scroll on down they post a recipe with cure #2.

Weight​

Percentage %​

Ingredient​

N/A2 piecesHog middle caps casings
3 lbs / 1.36 kg65%Pork shoulder (shoulder + back fat = 100%)
2 lbs. / 910 g35%Pork back fat (shoulder + back fat = 100%)
45.5 g 2.0%Kosher salt
5.7 g0.25%Insta Cure #2
10 g0.5%Red chili flakes
30 g1.5%Fresh garlic, minced
30 g1.5%Fresh ginger, minced
10 g0.5%Dried, rubbed sage
4 g0.2%Dried thyme
1 g0.05%Nutmeg, ground
215 g9.5%Red wine

Reactions: indaswamp
Nahunta's pork center in Raleigh is 5 miles up the road from me. Been in there many times and never ran across it or even heard of it in these parts. Might be a seasonal thing... The pork center's base store is in Pikeville outside of Goldsboro NC and the store in Raleigh is and outlet store at the farmers market. When I get a chance I'll go check it out.
Thank you For looking. I think this was traditionally served around New Years, so it was not an every day sausage, and may not even be popular in general anymore since it was something they made at hog killing time.

and may not even be popular in general anymore since it was something they made at hog killing time.
Kind of like boudin rouge... aka blood boudin. It was really only made during a hog killing when the blood was collected fresh and baking soda added immediately as the blood flowed from the stuck hog into a pan. This was done to coagulate the blood. It was then heavily salted and set aside until needed for the boudin.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Kind of like boudin rouge... aka blood boudin. It was really only made during a hog killing when the blood was collected fresh and baking soda added immediately as the blood flowed from the stuck hog into a pan. This was done to coagulate the blood. It was then heavily salted and set aside until needed for the boudin.
Unfortunately so many traditional things have been lost to history. Hog killing, blood sausage, head cheese, nothing going to waste but the squeal, but they are fun to revisit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky