To wrap or not to wrap...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ColoradoSmoker90

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 24, 2021
That is the question!

Newb here, just really looking for opinions and how/why you enjoy or dislike wrapping.

Excited to read over your thoughts.

Why? Mostly to speed things up, and push through temp stalls. Can usually throw something in the oven to save money on fuel, but if there's already coals lit..

Besides speeding it up through steam, you can crank up the temp with little to no downside. Bark might get a little soggy, but a few minutes unwrapped at the end will have it as good as it was before. Vinegar and/or a sugary spritz further help with that, too

I've tried it every way and I prefer to wrap. My offset runs at 275 plus easily and I'm also in Colorado. As you know it's pretty dry here so I think wrapping helps. I prefer butcher paper or the foil boat method and have had pretty good success.

Depends on what you're smoking really.

Me personally..
Brisket - never
Ribs - always
Pork shoulders - once in awhile to push through a stall if time is limited.

Wrapping softens the bark that your rub and the heat/smoke has created.

EXACTLY my reasons to Wrap. That and my Family prefers the result Wrapping gives Ribs to smoking Necked...JJ

EXACTLY my reasons to Wrap. That and my Family prefers the result Wrapping gives Ribs to smoking Necked...JJ
Same here. I'll get excited about a rib cook I'd feel confident entering into a competition-
hamribs3-copy-jpg.jpg

While the people actually enjoying them are dreaming about something like=

plate-jpg.jpg

I think I'm with them, honestly. I certainly like a little more FOTB than "competition ribs"; just because it's easier doesn't mean it's any worse!

It is really a personal taste.

I consider it "boil in the foil" to wrap ribs. Thus the need to unwrap and cook for another hour or so to steam off the liquid and crisp up a soggy bark.
I don't use sugar to spice so no caramelized bark that many desire in their ribs.

I usually finish my butt in a covered pan in in the oven. The drippings are gold to mix into a pull.

I hope this is obvious, but do not wrap anything you are smoking versus cooking

Welcome from Colorado!
That said, up here it is better to wrap, almost always. The general altitude here makes the air very dry. Sometimes in the 10-15% RH range. The meat dries faster up here. So wrapping makes sense.

Only if I'm crunched for time. Let the smoker do its magic.

If 50 people reply to this thread I'd bet you'll get 50 variations :emoji_laughing:
It's why I love this place and none of the opinions will be wrong.

I've tried it every way and I prefer to wrap. My offset runs at 275 plus easily and I'm also in Colorado. As you know it's pretty dry here so I think wrapping helps. I prefer butcher paper or the foil boat method and have had pretty good success.
A fellow Coloradoan! What part? I'm in the Springs. I have faced the many difficulties of high-altitude cooking, quite the learning curve for some foods lol

That's what I'm excited to learn - what my family and I all love/prefer. I do prefer fall off the bone type ribs myself. Here in Colorado Springs, we have little to NO bbq joints besides chain restaurants. Makes my heart sad

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Same here. I'll get excited about a rib cook I'd feel confident entering into a competition-
View attachment 494535

While the people actually enjoying them are dreaming about something like=

View attachment 494536

I think I'm with them, honestly. I certainly like a little more FOTB than "competition ribs"; just because it's easier doesn't mean it's any worse!
I'm fall off the bone myself. Nice food pics you've got there!

It is really a personal taste.

I consider it "boil in the foil" to wrap ribs. Thus the need to unwrap and cook for another hour or so to steam off the liquid and crisp up a soggy bark.
I don't use sugar to spice so no caramelized bark that many desire in their ribs.

I usually finish my butt in a covered pan in in the oven. The drippings are gold to mix into a pull.

I hope this is obvious, but do not wrap anything you are smoking versus cooking
I do appreciate the advice, in your last line. I am literally new at smoking so any obvious tips and advice are welcome!

Welcome from Colorado!
That said, up here it is better to wrap, almost always. The general altitude here makes the air very dry. Sometimes in the 10-15% RH range. The meat dries faster up here. So wrapping makes sense.
This is cool, two fellow Coloradoans! I'm in the Springs myself.

Only if I'm crunched for time. Let the smoker do its magic.

If 50 people reply to this thread I'd bet you'll get 50 variations :emoji_laughing:
It's why I love this place and none of the opinions will be wrong.
I do love this place so far, so much valuable advice! I don't mind the variations at all haha!

That's what I'm excited to learn - what my family and I all love/prefer. I do prefer fall off the bone type ribs myself. Here in Colorado Springs, we have little to NO bbq joints besides chain restaurants. Makes my heart sad

I'm north in Weld County. I was told the Rudy's in Colorado Springs was their busiest location in the country. There was one in Greeley for a few years but it closed down not too long ago. Rudy's isn't bad but authentic BBQ joints seem to struggle here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky