To freeze summer sausage or not to

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streetguy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Me and a buddy of mine where talking do you have to freeze fully cured and cooked summer sausage? You see it all the time on the shelf in stores. We figured commercial products have preservatives added to help with the shelf life. If vac packed could you store summer sausage in the refrigerator for a year? How about on a shelf in your pantry?

Freeze it, they add all kinds of preservatives that you didn’t to keep it on the shelf for months. I have gone a month in the fridge with summer sausage, not willing to be all F’d up to test the shelf life of a few dollars worth of meat.

I have done frozen 6-9 months on batches I have made using commercial summer sausage seasoning kits (cure included) before the sausage was all used up. Each chunk tasted as good as the first. Even had high temp cheddar and jalepeno still very good after 9mths of being vac sealed and frozen.

I freeze anything that won't be eaten in a short time

I have cure added to mine and had one in the fridge for two months and the fat seems to break down a bit. Not bad but I could tell and it doesn't do that in he freezer.

I Vac Pack & freeze everything I Smoke if it's gonna be around longer than 5 or 6 days, except Cheese---> Fridge only.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky