To do, or not to do...that is the question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Torc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 15, 2021
Cincinnati
So, the wifey and I went to Costco a few days ago and I happened across the Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow Charcoal Grill for $199.
imageService.jpg

Of course, my wifey gave me that look when I pointed it out.

But it got me thinking because I have drooled over the Hasty Bake grill since I saw it on Kent Rollins videos, but when I looked up the price...
the-studio-sophie-anderson-canvas-print.jpg

This grill fills a number of things I like the hasty bake for.

Adjustable coal rack

Easy access to refuel or add smoking Wood.
Ability to do true two-zone indirect heat

I joked that I could sell my Kamado and get that. The more I think about that joke, the more I wonder if that might not be such a bad idea.

The major issues I have with the Kamado is

Inability to access coals if
A. Using the indirect heat stone
B. If the meat covers the center cutout.

The round grate can limit the amount of food as well as making it somewhat difficult to flip food due to either grate orientation or the food is in the back, thus roasting my arm.

The ceramic diffuser can get pretty darned hot on its own thus reducing the indirectness of the heat.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I used 1 made like that for years as a smoker and a grill, rusted out and still miss it lol, adding charcoal and wood chunks was easy , I had a little fire place shovel and it was just right for placing charcoal and wood into the front

If I did not already have three sizes of Weber grills., I would buy one in a second.
BTW, I agree with you on the Kamado, way over rated and over hyped by Kamado heads.
Mine sits under it's fancy cover and grows cobwebs on the rollers.

Reactions: Torc
My buddy HAD a Komado for about a year. The same problems you said and it was to much of a hassle to do long cooks so after it sat for a year he sold it and went to a masterbuilt like that. He now does most of his coking on it, And like me, Here in Oklahoma, We both cook and smoke year around.

Reactions: Torc
Looks like a good deal but not for me. I want set and forget. MES + AMNPS. Insulated cabinet and works great in winter too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky