Tis the season for giving...Bacon and Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Been awhile since I have been able to post anything. But I have still been smoking and watching the posts when I get a free minute. Decided this year was going to try something different as far as Christmas presents go.

Went to Costco and bought 2 of the thickest bellies I could find(not very thick). Work with what you can get I guess! Used TQ and brown sugar in the cure. Both bellies were about 10 pounds a piece.
Bcon1.jpg

Bcon2.jpg

Bcon3.jpg

Cured this bacon for 14 days flipping daily. Soaked for about an hour in cold water then patted dry and into the beer fridge to rest for a few days to get that pellicle.
Bcon5.jpg

Bcon6.jpg

Bcon7.jpg

Covered 2 of the slabs in fresh cracked black pepper. Decided to use the Smoke Vault for this one and really happy with the results. Used to use the MES40 for this but get a lot more ventilation from the SV24. Loaded up the AMNPS with apple pellets and let her rip for 11 hours.
Bcon8.jpg

Bcon9.jpg

Bcon10.jpg

Bcon11.jpg

Back into the fridge for a couple days then sliced up 3 of the 6 slabs.
Bcon12.jpg

Bcon13.jpg

Vac sealed all that up and then got busy on my next project...Cheese. Found a 10 pound hunk at a closeout grocery store in the area. Cut it up into 8 oz blocks and then got out the other cheese I had been stashing for a the last couple months.
Ch1.jpg

Ch2.jpg

Ch3.jpg

Ch4.jpg

Love that Cabot Hot Habanero. Anyways same procedure fired up the AMNPS with apple pellets and let her rip for 4 hours.
Ch5.jpg

Ch6.jpg

Ch7.jpg

Ch8.jpg

Let it rest in the fridge for a couple of days and then vac sealed it all up.
Ch10.jpg

Put a pack of bacon and a block of cheese together and taped it together.
Bcon14.jpg

Bcon15.jpg

Don't know about you but looks like the perfect Christmas present to me! Family loved it and it gave me an excuse to do what I love to do. Win Win. Plus I still have 10 pounds of bacon and a lot of cheese leftover! Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Bcon4.jpg
    Bcon4.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 16
Looks great! I’d love that as a gift for any occasion. I gave away most of my first batch of bacon and Canadian bacon as gifts. Was a huge hit. Next year I’ll be going baskets of various bacons, pastrami, homemade sugar free bread and butter pickles and sf sweet hot peppers.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Thank you for the likes! I don’t know what it was but using the smoke vault rather than the mes40 made this stuff taste so much more flavorful. Obviously I didn’t use any heat just cold smoked with the amnps it was around 40 outside both times. Love using apple wood on bacon and cheese. Def be doing this method again.

Looks great! I’d love that as a gift for any occasion. I gave away most of my first batch of bacon and Canadian bacon as gifts. Was a huge hit. Next year I’ll be going baskets of various bacons, pastrami, homemade sugar free bread and butter pickles and sf sweet hot peppers.

I’ve been wanting to do pickles for a long time but seems like it’s hard to find the pickling cucumbers around here. How do you do the sweet hot peppers?

I'd like to be on that receiving end of gift giving my self!

Love the colour the cheese took![/QUOTE

Thanks! Made a big tray of stuff I smoked a year ago for a Christmas party a few days ago and every bit of it was gone. One of these days I’ll get some of that good Wisconsin cheese!

Thanks for this. I got an Amazin Tube for Christmas yesterday and was researching how to smoke cheese today. I have a Smoke Vault 18 that hasn't been used in about a year so I was trying to decide if I should use my kamado or bring the SV out of retirement. I think I will use the SV

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Ok I see a few things wrong with this post.

1st: The mailman has yet to deliver my gift package.
2nd: Rolling Rock really!!! where's the PBR's
3rd: I'm sure the folks from Oscar Mayer aren't to happy with you cutting into their profit margins. Be prepared for a visit from their lawyers in the next week or so.
4th: That hot habanaro is gonna be good. I love that stuff.

That is one fine looking smoker and fridge full of homemade goodies. Nicely done.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks for this. I got an Amazin Tube for Christmas yesterday and was researching how to smoke cheese today. I have a Smoke Vault 18 that hasn't been used in about a year so I was trying to decide if I should use my kamado or bring the SV out of retirement. I think I will use the SV

I put my amazen tray right on the wood chunk burner in the SV24. You have an air vent on both sides for ventilation so the amnps never goes out. The water pan sits about 3 inches above it so you the smoke distributes evenly and you don’t get any direct heat or hot spots from the pellets on the cheese/bacon. Good luck with your cheese let us know how it turns out!

Reactions: drunkenmeatfist
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky